Can’t have any rationality in diplomacy

I’ve been ringing the alarm bells about Donald Trump recklessly pushing us toward war with North Korea for months, and this is yet another reason for every American to worry," Duckworth told CNN. "If this report is true and we’ve truly reached a point where opposing unprovoked armed conflict is a disqualifier from serving as ambassador – a role literally intended to prevent war – in one of the most tenuous regions of the world, then this represents a troubling development and a setback for diplomac

Sweetie. When you disagree with the boss in a job interview, don’t be surprised if you don’t get the job.

It’s the President’s right to select ambassadors that will carry out the foreign policy goals of his administration. Your severe case of Trump Derangement Syndrome is preventing you from evaluating this situation logically. This guy wasn’t the ambassador, he was a candidate…and he didn’t make the cut. Sour grapes.

Do you want to debate the topic or just engage in personal insults??

Sweetie is a personal attack now? LOL!!! Sure thing sugar plum. If you made it past sweetie he did kick the debate off.

Well never mind that I said insult, A man calling another man sweetie and sugar plum is insulting and not a civil way to engage. But that’s where you guys always go because you know no better and your hero for example is a caustic name calling and belittling bigot himself.

This guy disagrees with you and that rejected ambassador candidate.

Oh the insecurity. This kid is more of a man than you are, illiterate bernie bot.

So despite the fact that South Korea immediately cleared Cha for the job when they were asked, they won’t be getting him, Seoul will remain without an ambassador at a time it couldn’t be needed more.

President Trump has repeatedly stated many times that a military strike at NK would be the last option. He is doing everything he can to isolate NK economically and isn’t a war monger. He knows what could happen after a military strike at selected targets
It’s up to Lil Kim to come to the negotiating table with the US and SK!!!##
Quack,Quack ,Quack to Duckworth!!!

I thought he did engage the subject… you were just so triggered you couldn’t get past the first word…:joy::joy::joy:

A bit touchie coming from a guy who is quick with words like bigot… I mean I can empathies personally but… then again I never felt I was one of those new age, everything goes kind of guys… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Freedom, that language is for public consumption. As unconstitutional as it is for a president to preemptively attack another country because you “think” they may attack you, the previous two presidents did just that and now we learn that this White House is contemplating the same. Which is why Cha has been dropped from consideration for the ambassadorship to South Korea over his objections to it. Now Cha is to be commended for putting law and ethics before his own personal career.

Some how we are now worried about the doctrine of preemptive strikes… This goes to common law all the way back to the 1600’s Europe if not before… and while it might have no standing within the UN conventions, I don’t know that their is anything preventing the US from preventing a legitimate first strike by someone else. The Constitution calls for government to provide for the common defense… I don’t think it says ‘wait until one of your cities is melted just to be sure, before you take action’…

A selective military strike would happen if Lil Kim would send a missile strike to either or both Japan and Guam . President Trump has told NK that many times and it be after exhausting all options.

I was just breaking your chops. Calm down and stop acting like a woman. You make it a sport of trying to poke people in the eye. You can dish it but you can’t take it.

Somebody who disagreed with the President didn’t get a job. It’s not the end of diplomacy.

Nope, that’s not what’s happening, the president wants to conduct a preemptive strike on North Korea, finding this to be problematic, Cha voiced his criticism of the notion and was told to walk.

You cannot quote me engaging in personal insults like that. Poke my opinions and arguments all you wish.

Can you quote me saying that it is? To be clear, what I’ve said in this thread and frankly many other times elsewhere is that the president doesn’t have much regard for the State Department. There’s far too many vacant posts and a year in now, it’s totally unacceptable that South Korea still doesn’t have an ambassador. Particularly with the problems on the Korean Peninsula. It’s not the same as not having an ambassador in say Switzerland. You guys would NEVER give Obama or any democrat a pass on this. Your position is blatant partisan politics.

You are acting as if the post is unoccupied. In the absence of an appointed ambassador a career diplomat and member of the Senior Foreign Service takes over.

I think Mr. Knapper is quite capable and up to the task. Don’t you?

Mr. Marc Knapper, a member of the Senior Foreign Service of the U.S. Department of State, began his tenure as Charge d’Affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul on January 20, 2017. Prior to that, he was Deputy Chief of Mission in Seoul since April 2015. Before his arrival in the Republic of Korea, he was the Director of the Department of State’s Office of India Affairs, and before that he served as the Director of Japanese Affairs. Earlier assignments include serving as Political Counselor in the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad; as Deputy Chief of the Political Section at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo; and as Political Counselor at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi.

Mr. Knapper brings an extensive knowledge of the Republic of Korea and the Asia-Pacific region to his current assignment, having served twice at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul – first between 1993 and 1995, and again between 1997 and 2001. He has also completed assignments in the Department of State’s Office for Chinese and Mongolian Affairs, and during an early assignment in Tokyo, he served as aide to Ambassador Walter Mondale. Mr. Knapper has twice traveled to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea for official purposes, once in 1997 as the State Department representative to the Spent Fuel Team at the Yongbyon nuclear facility, and again in 2000 as part of the advance team for then-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright’s visit to Pyongyang.

Mr. Knapper is the recipient of a number of awards from the U.S. Department of State, including Linguist of the Year and three Superior Honor Awards. He is a summa cum laude graduate from Princeton University, with a BA in Politics and a minor in East Asian Studies. After graduation, he studied for two years at the University of Tokyo as a graduate research student. He is also a graduate of Middlebury College’s intensive Japanese program, the Army War College, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Seminar XXI course. Mr. Knapper speaks Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese.

A native of Los Angeles, Mr. Knapper is married to Suzuko Knapper and they have one son, Alex, who is 17.

https://kr.usembassy.gov/our-relationship/cda/

Unoccupied by an ambassador. I was clear on that.

The chargé d’affaires has the same authority as an ambassador. The only difference is that they are a career diplomat. So you’re telling me that you would rather have an inexperienced appointed person serving as ambassador vs a seasoned professional career diplomat…ok…got it.