Conyers stepping down as ranking Dem on House Judiciary Committee

Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) announced he is stepping aside as the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee pending an investigation into allegations of sexual harassment.

“After careful consideration and in light of the attention drawn by recent allegations made against me, I have notified the Democratic Leader of my request to step aside as Ranking Member of the House Judiciary Committee during the investigation of these matters," he said in a statement on Sunday.

“I deny these allegations, many of which were raised by documents reportedly paid for by a partisan alt-right blogger. I very much look forward to vindicating myself and my family before the House Committee on Ethics," he added.

Conyers’s attorney last week maintained that the lawmaker would not resign from the post as the House Ethics Committee investigates the allegations.

The Ethics Committee opened an investigation into Conyers after BuzzFeed News reported last week that Conyers settled a wrongful dismissal complaint in 2015 with a former employee who alleged she was fired because she would not “succumb to [his] sexual advances.”

Other staffers alleged that he made requests for sexual favors, inappropriately touched staffers and used congressional resources to transport women that they believed he was having sexual relationships with at the time.

Shortly after the report was published, another woman came forward with allegations that the lawmaker harassed and verbally abused her while she worked for him in the 1990s.

Mike Cernovich, a Trump supporter who has pushed conspiracy theories such as “Pizzagate,” provided the documents to BuzzFeed News after reportedly offering to pay $10,000 for the records. BuzzFeed said it independently confirmed the documents’ authenticity.

“Not alt right but it’s always nice to get a shout out from a Congressman on his way out,” Cernovich tweeted on Sunday.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in a statement about Conyers’s decision to step aside stressed that “zero tolerance means consequences.”

“We must ensure the Congress has a climate of dignity and respect with zero tolerance,” she added.

During an appearance earlier Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Pelosi called Conyers an “icon” who deserves “due process.”

Conyers, the longest-serving current member of the House, has said he will “fully cooperate” with the Ethics Committee’s investigation.

His announcement came after several Democratic lawmakers called for him to step down from his powerful post.

One of his House colleagues, Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.), on Friday called for the Michigan lawmaker to resign amid the allegations.

51 f-ing years , OMG 81 years old , when the fuck will they have term limits my God !!! :astonished:

John Conyers is the classic case of identity politics gone wild. He like many on the Congressional Black Caucus have evolved into caricatures who hijacked MLK’s movement simply to line their own pockets. They’ve done nothing but erect swingsets in the black community for decades of mindless, uneducated Democratic votes.

When he wasn’t sexually assaulting his staff, he was treating them like slaves. He needs to do more than step down from a Committee, he needs to be removed from office.

This is how they all get away with crap that would put us in prison: Everyone has a dossier on everyone else.

I hope he does… Our government needs some integrity and the only way to get it is some really hard straight forward conversation. I found it funny that their are female congresspersons who keep a ‘creep’ list… I’m waiting for them to find out that some of them actually reside on a ‘bitch’ list. We are coming to a new place in all of this discussion and while women like touting the sexual angle, the emotional abuses levied against men, regardless of color, is little discussed… Hell, I don’t know a married guy in the world that doesn’t know the two words learned early in a relationship… “Yes Dear.” :rofl:

Oh No… I went to this website that I visit occasionally and Low and Behold:

Now how on time was that!! Time barely elapsed from my original post…

Get rid of all those scumbags regardless of party ! They are there to represent the voters and NOT to abuse women !

ANd hes assigning his son as the successor. Here is a clip of John COnyers III rapping (no, this is no a joke)

Also, his wife was jailed for corruption for 3 years

Nice try but the governor of the state will select a person to fill his seat.

Oh you’d be surprised. But then again, idk enough, but Conyers had been in office for decades despite the misconducts not limited to himself but from his family members, his wife for example.

I was mistaken:
From the Detroit Free Press.

The process of filling the seat left open by the retirement of U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Detroit, could take some time to sort out and cost a good bit of money.

By law, the governor is required to call a special election to select someone to fill out the remainder of the congressman’s term, which ends on Jan. 3, 2019.

The governor can schedule that election whenever he wishes, though it often comes on the date of the next regularly scheduled election — which, at present, is May 7, 2018, when there will be balloting for local boards and millages.

But because it’s a House seat, that also means having a primary election first to decide who would run in a general election. That’s what happened in 2012, for instance, after former U.S. Rep. Thad McCotter, R-Livonia, stepped down in July.

Kerry Bentivolio of Milford won a September primary to be the Republican nominee to both fill out McCotter’s unexpired term and to take the seat in the next Congress. In the November general election, however, Democrat David Curson of Belleville won the race to serve out the remaining six weeks of McCotter’s term while Bentivolio won to replace McCotter in the next Congress.

Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., walks down the steps of the House of Representatives after final votes, at the Capitol in Washington, Friday, May 30, 2014. J. Scott Applewhite, AP

In the current situation, it’s possible that a primary could be held in May and then a general election to fill out Conyers’ term on Aug. 7, the date of the next regular election.

The process also means that between now and the special election, there will be no one in Congress representing the district.

A special election isn’t cheap: The Secretary of State’s Office puts it at about $2,000 per precinct. There are roughly 517 precincts in Conyers’ Wayne County district by the Free Press’ count, putting the cost at a little more than $1 million.

Seems to me that this problem follows democrats not only to Hollywood and academia but probably right down to the grass roots…