Deerfield, Illinois residents must turn in their guns or face up to $1000 / day

The Chicago suburb recently passed a law, where AR-15’s and other firearms that look scary, along with a host of handguns, have to be transferred out of the village limits, turned over to the police, or destroyed.

Owning these firearms is not permitted within Deerfield and non-compliance could carry a $250-$1,000/ day fee. Yes, the National Rifle Association has joined a lawsuit against the provision. It’s absurd. Gun ownership has been banned in a slice of America. That’s grossly unconstitutional (via Chicago Tribune):

The ordinance enacted April 2 by the Deerfield Village Board gives residents until June 13 to turn in any guns that fit the village’s definition of assault weapons, remove them from the village or modify the guns so they’re no longer considered assault weapons. The ordinance empowers the town’s police chief to confiscate the assault weapons of anyone charged under the ordinance.

Owners found in violation can be fined up to $1,000 a day, according to the ordinance.

Two lawsuits were filed in April challenging the ordinance on various grounds, including a claim that the ordinance deprives gun owners of property they are legally entitled to possess. The plaintiffs in both lawsuits are asking for a temporary restraining order to block Deerfield from enforcing the ban until the court can hear their arguments for a permanent injunction.

“The fast-approaching compliance date compels plaintiffs to seek more immediate and intermediate relief until this matter can be fully heard on the merits,” said attorney David Sigale in a petition on behalf of Deerfield gun owner Daniel Easterday, the Illinois State Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Sigale’s petition notes that Deerfield residents in possession of the those weapons face prosecution, confiscation and destruction of their property and hefty monetary fines.

This is one of the most horrendous Gun Control attempts I have seen in a long time. An ignorant and feeble minded attempt by anti-gun progressive leftist politicians. A moronic idea that is solely based on the cosmetic aesthetics of a firearm only. Not the form or function of the firearm whatsoever.

With this one ordnance, the village of Deerfield has turned dozens, if not hundreds of Legal, law abiding gun owners, into criminals.

I truly fear, that if the law enforcement and politicians of Deerfield try to enforce this bull shit law… that there will be blood in the streets. And THAT blood, is on the hands of the politicians of Deerfield who are too cowardly to go door to door with the LEO’s who will be asked to confiscate the firearms.

This is why you never tell anybody what you have.

If any ordinance deserves to be blocked until successfully defended as not being unconstitutional, this is it.

LOL, just try and enter and see if the guns are still there, I dare Deerfield to check it out.

But I thought you guys were the party of law and order. No comment necessary, it was rhetorical, I’ve known all along that it’s selective.

One has to ask, the second amendment is pretty clear as are previous SCOTUS decisions.

Seems Deerfield has over stepped their authority.

Gun restrictions are not unconstitutional. The strictest restrictions we’ve seen recently came out of the red state, :flushed: of Florida with a GOP controlled house and senate and a Republican governor. :rofl::rofl::rofl: And never forget that it was the TIC himself that declared that circumstances should have cops ignoring due process and our constitution and confiscate guns letting the courts sort it out latter. A real moron as Tillerson said.

I don’t care about all that. I only care about what the 2nd American says. You can write all the bullshit you want. So can the politicians. The way I see it…SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED means just that.

If you have a fire arm, your right has not been infringed. Otherwise I understand that Florida’s restrictions and trumps declarations would be hard to face and defend.

Supreme Court affirms fundamental right to bear arms

The Second Amendment provides Americans a fundamental right to bear arms that cannot be violated by state and local governments, the Supreme Court ruled Monday in a long-sought victory for gun rights advocates.

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., wrote the opinion for the court’s dominant conservatives, said: “It is clear that the Framers . . . counted the right to keep and bear arms among those fundamental rights necessary to our system of ordered liberty.”

The decision extended the court’s 2008 ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller that “the Second Amendment protects a personal right to keep and bear arms for lawful purposes, most notably for self-defense within the home.” That decision applied only to federal laws and federal enclaves such as Washington; it was the first time the court had said there was an individual right to gun ownership rather than one related to military service.

I don’t have anything.

The government has the power to take your weapons. They lack the authority. It will be up to we, the people to stop gun control. And while the right likes to quote Heller, that conservative court (sic) gave gun owners the screwing of a lifetime. In the HOLDING of the Court (you know what the law is) goes like this:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited.”

In short, the United States Supreme Court put themselves in the rights granting business. So they are passing laws - including ex post facto laws all across the country. When the smoke clears, all you will be able to legally own is a single shot, black powder rifle.

That is why, at the moment, you can buy modern stuff for half of what it was selling for only two years ago. Case in point: a place called bayou tactical has been selling Magpul drum mags for $110 shipped. Two years ago, retailers had to pay the distributors $112 per drum by the case of ten. retail averaged $149 to $165. It’s all going to be outlawed everywhere - and soon.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, preying upon gun owners ignorance is just before taking a giant dump on the Constitution, getting rid of ex post facto prohibitions, so don’t think your AR is going to get grandfathered in. It won’t be like the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994.

The problem for the government isn’t banning weapons but collecting them.

Hi, I’m from the government And here to collect your hunting rifles and AR15. Gee officer, I sold those at a gun show 5 years ago. No I don’t have a record as it wasn’t required.

No you cannot come in my house.

The one thing they could effectively do is control ammunition and reload supplies.

Don’t kid yourself. Government operates on snitches. So, who is going to turn you in?

1. If you have a kid on drugs, they can be flipped

2. A former spouse (maybe your current spouse if they get whizzed)

3. An in law

4. Someone you had as a friend before the ban that knows you have firearms - the guy you went to the range with that now needs an ace to save him from legal woes

5. Nosy neighbors

6. Any repairman that enters your home and sees something worth reporting

7. The receipts you’ve racked up over the years from buying gun stuff in stores and online

8. A sudden inspection of your house by DFACS / DFCS / CPS on the pretext of child abuse

9. Drones might see things you don’t think they saw

10. Sometimes the cops can show up at your house with a search warrant that has nothing to do with you. Case in point: Cops are always looking for my wife’s son. He continually gets tagged for probation violations.

Since he’s homeless (none of his relatives want him staying in their home) the cops take turns rousting us. Three times they’ve asked to search my home. Finally, I got a restraining order against that jailbird so there is no reason for the cops to come and ask me. But, it can happen to you.

If we are not going to USE our weapons, of what use are they? If you had to use it to protect yourself or your family, you would rack up at least three felonies: shooting a would be criminal, possession of a firearm while in the commission of a crime, and failure to surrender your weapon at the appointed time and / or lying to the authorities.

In the interim, if you’re hiding your weapons, you are not training. Of what use are they? We don’t need to become criminals. We should stick some alternatives to gun control on the table so as to slow down gun violence WITHOUT gun control and we need to use proven strategies to break anti-gunners financially while making sure our congresscritters have the CORRECT information regarding our unalienable Right to keep and bear Arms.

If all else fails, be prepared to learn WHY that Right exists… or accept slavery.