Electric Vehicles & Their Future

I do see some strides; but how long until an efficient vehicle is on the market? That being, a small, high output, “universal battery”, that will do a full charge in maybe 15 minutes; and offer 3 to 4 hundred miles per charge; at a ( drum roll ) very reasonable price. I see ground being gained; but I don’t believe it can ( short of an engineering miracle ) ever happen overnight. No quicker than Edison could have jumped from wax cylinder recordings to digital recordings, overnight.

The problem with electric whiles as I see it is the use, charge, the distance and of course long term use of rechargeable batteries.

1. EV’s in an urban, suburban environment meets the needs of that environment. We have a very large country with sparsely populated areas. Should the Federal Government add charging stations in the sparsely populates areas? Taxpayers should pay of course as no business in their right minds would build the infrastructure.
  2. Distance: My auto runs 350-500 mils on a tank of gas which is readily available across the country. Can a universal battery deliver that performance? Not today. New technology is required. The materials and cost of materials as well as rare earth materials are certainly damaging to the environment.
  3. Charge time, 15 minutes??? That will certainly require new technology.
  4. Longevity, how long should a battery pack last? 5 years, 10 years? As batteries age pick one any one, their life span is shortened. Universal so you can buy it at Advanced Auto? The cost? Is 3 or 4 thousand too much? A Prius pack is 2500 today not including labor.
  5. Currently Tesla works on Tesla. How do we train the existing workforce in short order to repair the new vehicles? Cost of test equipment not included.

EV’s are new and the overall reliability is unknown.

Massive deployment, maybe in the cities and suburban areas. Yet to be really addressed, where does all that electricity come from???

The big problem is developing a battery that can handle “very cold weather”. That’s the breakthrough. Even better, a charging system that can charge in real time, with just the exposure to any daylight, not bright sunlight. Just light. So, many technological miles to go for sure. Then we have nights, and they’ve been around for a long long time.

Not only that the battery will be challenged at altitude, big hills = less operating mileage.

China is investing heavily in nuke plants to supply their future EV electricity requirements. We will be increasingly using natural gas, oil, and yes coal, as electricity needs ramp up.

Why not continue the development of the hydrogen fuel cell technology or develop a reliable efficient rurbine engine??? :+1:

I always said: HYDROGEN is the way to go.