If You Think ObamaCare Is Hard To Get Rid Of Now... Just Wait Until The Propaganda Actually Settles In

I have talked several times about my experiences here in Britain with the NHS, some good, many more of questionable quality. Many things about the NHS are truly indefensible but propaganda over some 70 years have made it even more of a sacred cow than Social Security in the US…

It would appear we are stuck with Obamacare because every republican has to stand their ground on keeping many parts of the bill and 10 or so want to remove all the baggage and reduce the money pit called Medicaid . And the democrats only want to resist , resist , resist . What a f-ing mess !!! :disappointed:

Are you a citizen of the UK? If not, how do you receive healthcare there? If you are? What happened when you weren’t? Did you get any assistance as a non-native?

While Britain has been notorious for being a medical tourism destination of choice, it is starting to wise up. My status is Legal permanent resident (via Marriage to a UK Citizen), what they term ‘permanent leave to remain’… it is like permanent legal residence in the US except that when I came to the UK I was immediately entitled to full NHS services… I was not entitiled to any other state benefit like housing, unemployment or subsistence.

As I said, at the time, Britain was open to anyone who came into the country. When I first met my wife, before we were married, I was working in the UK and once when visiting her, I twisted my ankle, so she took me to her local GP. When I was done I naturally asked “Where do I pay and how much”. Their answer was that perhaps I could make a donation to one of the charities that had a can at their reception… I put £40 (at the time about $50) in the can and the about fell over.

They are wising up about who gets care but anyone that receives permanent residence will have health care. People who come to the UK as a tourist will receive emergency care only and assistance to get back to their home…

My aunt broke her leg skiing in Italy and had a similar experience. No bill. They got her all squared away and back to her hotel she went. That was 10 years ago and she still talks about it as the best medical experience of her life.

In the UK do they treat you any different? Is there a ranking so to speak? Natural born citizens get care and treatment over permanent residents? Or is it just the same level of care and everyone has to wait?

A beautiful boy born 11 months ago is dying in London. The world watches as his parents battle to keep their child alive. Courts will not allow the hospital to release the baby, Charlie Gard, into the parents’ custody so they can travel to try an experimental treatment.
Across the ocean, many people are appalled or confused, and wondering: Could a similar situation happen in the United States?
“It’s an absolutely horrific situation,” said Claire Fenton-Glynn, a legal scholar at the University of Cambridge.

And the left decrying death panels want death panels in the US.

A most interesting problem for the dems.

I guess I would have to say that at the local level, if their is any kind of ordering, I don’t see it… Now when it comes to major operations or transplant lists, I couldn’t say. It all sounds quite good both for people like myself and for the average citizen but the NHS has many delivery problems and it seems to be forever in crisis in some area or another and is always needing money. Services in many cases are termed to be a ‘post code lottery’, that is, depending on where you live you are more or less likely to receive a particular treatment.

The interesting thing is that while at the base level you don’t need to worry about care, you always know in the back of your mind that if something major occurs that you might be on a long list to be seen or the service is just not available on the NHS … or as in the case Charlie Gard, the state has the final say over your medical future. In Charlie’s case, this has happened twice recently… The first time the parents literally kidnapped their child to receive experimental treatment in eastern Europe… UK issued arrest warrants and waved their arms but the parents managed the treatment and it was successful.

Look, no system is perfect but you have to decide whether you want access to the best healthcare in the world or you want to be saddled with ‘universal care’ that is hard to innovate and does little research on its own. I’ve asked this before but the question is important. Many people will almost universally head to the US for advanced medicine when it is not available in their country… Do you want the advanced medicine… the cutting edge procedures that are developed in the US… the top of the line diagnostic equipment… or do you want ‘universal care’… Their is a trade off… and for some equality… even if it is equal in misery is more important than actual choice and personal responsibility.

What people never seem to grasp with universal healthcare is that there is a finite amount of healthcare available and it will be rationed for that reason as well as cost.