Iran's president Rouhani says Tehran will not let Donald Trump rip up the nuclear deal

Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday he would not let U.S. President-elect Donald Trump rip up a global nuclear deal, warning of unspecified repercussions if Washington reneges on the agreement.

Trump had said during campaigns for the White House that he would scrap Iran’s pact with world powers - under which Tehran agreed to curb its nuclear program in return for lifted sanctions - describing it as “the worst deal ever negotiated”.

“[Trump] wants to do many things, but none of his actions would affect us,” Rouhani said in a speech at University of Tehran broadcast live on state television.

“Do you think the he can rip up the JCPOA (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action nuclear deal)? Do you think we and our nation will let him do that?”

Analysts have said Trump’s comments could signal a harder U.S. line on Iran, a development that could in turn empower hardliners on Iran’s political scene, including rivals of Rouhani.

Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, warned against any changes to the nuclear deal after Trump’s comments in June, and said last month that an extension of a U.S. sanction regime would be viewed as a violation of the accord.

Rouhani echoed Khamenei’s comments on the U.S. Congress decision last month to pass legislation to extend the Iran Sanctions Act (ISA) for 10 years to make it easier for Washington to reimpose sanctions if Tehran contravenes the nuclear deal.

U.S. President Barack Obama still needs to sign the legislation.

“There is no doubt that the United States is our enemy,” said Rouhani, who is expected to stand again in Iran’s own presidential elections in 2017.

“If Obama signs ISA but uses waiver rights to cease its implementation, it still infringes the nuclear agreement and we will react to it.”

Rouhani said he will attend the meeting of an experts committee on Wednesday to decide on Iran’s reaction to what he called the U.S. violation.

Iran is not going to do anything, if they think the military under Trump is going to stand down and be stepped on like Obama’s military they are wrong. There won’t be capturing Navy sailors and getting a pay day from it under Trump, there will only be an ultimatum followed by precision strikes if deadlines are not met and if directions are not followed. Try us Iran.

I don’t recall Congress ratifying the deal.

Seems congress must ratify it to make it a done deal.

Because King Obama agreed to it doesn’t make it so. Another case of executive over reach.

Besides the sheer stupidity of entering into these discussions in the first place, the real mechanical problem with this “agreement” is that a number of other countries who were involved in it as well - hence the term P5+1. That was done intentionally so that the IAEA could still conduct inspections, even if the US withdrew from the agreement. We can refuse to be a party to the agreement, but at this point I think the agreement would still stand and just become the P4+1. I’m not sure how that would work though, since sanctions are supposed to end if Iran complies with the terms of the inspections.

Before you start sharpshooting me, understand I do not support this deal. I’m simply presenting what I know of the mechanics of the deal for discussion.

The ramifications for withdrawing from the agreement are simply sanctions from then US. This agreement was done illegally by the administration bypassing congress who must approve all treaty’s. Not to mention the administration paying 400 million to Iran without approval of congress.

Ripping up the deal would be totally stupid.

We have paid them $11 BILLION DOLLARS

And now we would get….nothing???

What a stupid thing to do.

Tehran doesn’t exactly have a choice. The agreement is a cooperation between two parties. If we leave the agreement then we leave it. There’s absolutely nothing Iran can do. It is in fact beneficial that we leave considering how terrible the bill is. We get nothing out of the deal even if we stay.

a nuclear free Iran is nothing?

really?

I’m sorry but the belief that Iran is actually going to become nuclear free is as foolish as it is gullible. They have constantly gone back on this deal, continued their nuclear desires, and has even been reportedly in collusion with North Korea recently. Yes, really, nothing truly does amount to nothing.

I haven’t heard any facts from legitimate news sources that say Iran has done anything but follow the deal completed some parts ahead of time.

The way to make them a nuclear power is to isolate them more.

I disagree. Providing aid and sternly standing by as they complete their objectives is foolish and undermines our allies in the region. Allies, I might remind you who will engage in war with Iran to stop them from getting such power. By continuing this farce we waste tax dollars, weaken our foreign relationships, and put ourselves in an awkward situation when Iran does arm; because we are their enemy in the end. We are the great Satan. We to them are evil. They are not going to thank us they’re going to become an international threat. Pretending an issue doesn’t exist doesn’t make it go away.

there is no evidence that is accurate in fact all evidence thus far by legitimate news sources including the inspectors themselves suggests Iran is in full compliance.

no we don’t…we don’t waste any money…we open up trade with Iran which provides some US JOBS like Boeing that would otherwise go to Airbus.

we know one thing…they will 100% become an international threat if we isolate them and starve them. Absolutely. So if that is what we want then we should do that.

Like this country there are factions who think (falsely) that we have to fight everyone, then there are factions who believe trade is better to build relationships.

The Hard Liners in Iran know to stay in power they must promote this false ideology but they are getting old and will be dead in 10 years.

Something like 60% of the people in Iran were born after 1979 they don’t remember the Revolution these stories do not move them. The Iranian people are good people who generally LIKE Americans, love American things, and generally don’t understand why we hold some of the views against Iran that we do. Just like some here don’t understand Iran.

Both are being fed an ideology from their people pushing an agenda.

We need to see thru that.

Just today, an Iranian dissident group came out with photographs that purport to show that Iran is secretly pursuing nuclear weaponry.

Viscerally, I would like to see the JCPOA (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action–commonly known as “the Iran nuclear deal”) canceled.

As a practical matter, however, I am unsure just what that would accomplish.

The Iranian government has already garnered its goodies: the (roughly) 100 billion dollars in sanctions relief, plus the undoing of multilateral sanctions going forward. And it is very difficult to see just how we would get back that 100 billion dollars–or put the [B]multilateral[/B] sanctions back in place. (Easier, probably, to put the proverbial toothpaste back into the tube.)

So a cancelation of the Iran deal would leave them with all the goodies, while allowing them to (legally) pursue nuclear weapons.

The only place to go, then–it seems to me–would be to go to war with Iran.

And that is something that very few people have an appetite for.

Thoughts?

psst. It’s not a secret.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Iran and nuclear weapons