Just so we keep the Russia Story on the Front Burner... until the real culprits are cooked!

The information was too sensitive to be passed through directly to Trump but then Don Jr uses his private email system can be archived and then retrieved by government sources. The only explanation I can think of is that Don Jr wouldn’t know the way they usually talked to Russian officials which wouldn’t make sense in my mind because he had such a high role in the campaign.

This is a bit harder to answer because we don’t know how/why the information was retrieved, so I’m just arguing from what I believe. Yes it would have been used maliciously against a political opponent but it most likely wasn’t retrieved by intelligence agencies in Russia so they can use it against Clinton in her electoral battles considering they had a plateau of reasons to collect info on Clinton including the fact she was a secretary of state, state senator, first lady and this was all in between 2000 and 2014 when she announced she was running, this information could be years upon years old.

I can’t answer that one other than referring to my previous points, I feel like this was the only actual channel of communication when it came to this (the Donald Trump Jr. emailing Goldstone) but Mueller will most likely go through Manafort and Kushner’s email following this, I guess its just a wait and see thing as is common with a developing story.

I’m sure your employer appreciates your attentiveness… :roll_eyes:

There are a lot of posts made during business hours. At least we aren’t on Facebook.

Re: the subreddit. I’m not sure Trump jr.'s behavior rises to the level described, yet I’m quite sure that if a similar standard applies to meetings, and accepting donations from Russians to a charity you run for your own travel/party expenses (Clinton Foundation) and are compensated for ‘speeches’ that are of no benefit to the audience by those same Russians, and you in turn facilitate the sale of vast quantities of uranium to Russia- I’m pretty sure that qualifies as not just criminal, but treason.

Randy Cunningham, decorated Vietnam fighter pilot, got ten years for buying a house marked down below market value from a defense contractor. By that legal reasoning, Hillary should be in the Graybar for oh, three, maybe four centuries…

LOL, yet not 1 shred of evidence.

Now Thats What I’m Talkin About !!!

I had forgotten this particular incident…

This is different, this is a republican we are talking about. Different parties, different standards. Why is that so hard to understand.

It’s more than acceptable to th US to over throw governments, influence foreign elections yet totally unacceptable for others to attempt to influence our elections. Or are they still making excuses for a seriously flawed candidate and a party platform that people are disgusted by.

Speaking of emails… and… back scratching…

Clinton was taking liberties in Russia during the same time but I guess the US probably doesn’t have any laws forbidding affecting the elections of other countries… particularly if they are our adversaries…

The Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya was:

1. Photographed at multi anti-PDT protests
  2. denied a visa numerous times
  3. mysteriously granted a parole letter to enter US
  4. at Trump Tower; and
  5. one week later, sitting behind Obama’s Russian Ambassador at hearing

But not at all planned.

Yeah, thats what I think and although I don’t think Don Jr did anything wrong legally… he was a dumbass to go there…

Here is an interesting take that I copied from part of another discussion:

The writer asks the question: Is information something falls under the definition of “something of value” and thus subject to this law.

His answer as a non lawyer is: I don’t know, to be frank.

But then he poses this question with respect to recieving anything of value from a forgiener that could aid in a campaign… then poses this thought.

My first impression is “No”, but I’m a long way from certain that’s right, and I sure as Hell wouldn’t take my own counsel on the legality of that impression.

The implications here are profound. Much information is in fact gathered, held and processed by people who are not US Citizens, or firms controlled by non-US Citizens. Is it illegal for a US political campaign to, for example, use a database of information that passes through and is processed by a company in England?

Is it illegal for a US political campaign to use a cloud computing platform that has part of its operation in other nations if any part of the data passes through or is contained upon said systems, and derives any of its value from the acts of foreign nationals?

If it’s unlawful for Trump Jr. to have had that meeting then it is, under the same argument, similarly unlawful for anyone running a political campaign to derive any benefit from the use of information processing (e.g. cloud computing, databases, graphics design, political intelligence, etc) or related services from any firm or entity that obtains any of the value in same from foreign nationals, including holders of H1b visas which of course instantly implicates every single large technology company in the United States.

Worth a watch everyone.

Can anyone provide a brief run down on this whole Donald Trump Jr email stuff? Haven’t had time to read the thread.

Basically, Obama administration tried setting up a trap meeting with a Russian lawyer (not much to do with their govt other than the lawyer being from Russia) she said she had some shit on Hilary and something about adoption policies…NYT found out about the meeting and tried saying it was proof of collusion. Instead of waiting for NYT hit piece that will leak portions of the emails and spin, DJT Jr went ahead and published the correspondence.

One point of clarification, this “Russian” lawyer was a former government official who hadn’t worked for Russian government since 2002. I’m sure the MSM omits this fact, but I wouldn’t know because I’ve stopped watching all MSM news.

This is a pretty good synopsis for the Trump/Russia/Democrat narrative… While listening to it all provides clarity to those who do delve into this stuff regularly… But for you ultra busy democrats, attention span notwithstanding, you could just listen from th 23:40 mark and hear all you really should internalize…

That’s right. This is their level of reporting.

You are really missing out on some incredible entertainment. It really is that bad. If they re-categorized CNN as a “comedy” or “humor” channel that would be most precise.

The Code of Federal Regulations makes the law immunizing Trump Jr.’s actions precisely clear: any foreign national individual may volunteer personal services to a federal candidate or federal political committee without making a contribution. The law provides this volunteer “exemption” as long as the individual performing the service is not compensated by anyone on the campaign. See 11 CFR 100.74. For example, as the Federal Election Commission advises all, “an individual can provide volunteer services to a candidate or party without considering the value of those service a contribution to the candidate or party.” Section 30121 of Title 52 does not apply to voluntary activity or services. The thing “of value” must be actual money, or its transferable equivalent, not a volunteer of services or information. Otherwise, if volunteering information in coordination with a campaign constituted donations, everyone from John Harwood to Chuck Todd (and maybe all of CNN) made millions in donations to the Hillary campaign, as WikiLeaks emails disclosed.

Hence, legally, Donald Trump Jr. taking a meeting at the request of a family friend, to hear someone wanting to volunteer information about your Dad’s adversary, can legally be no crime.