Mark Twain on Patriotism

See all the daily quotes at: https://thevoiceofreason.blog/quote-of-the-day/ #VOR

Great quote. I wonder what Mark Twain would say about people who consider themselves to be patriots today? Supporting the country and the President is enough to get a person socially stigmatized. This would have probably been an alien concept for Twain. I think to him being a Patriot meant something much different than it means to us now.

Not so different from Thomas Paine’s quote from “The Crisis”

December 23, 1776
THESE are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but “to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER” and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.

The full writing is here: http://www.ushistory.org/paine/crisis/c-01.htm

He was quite mocking of religion too, so you surely can’t take him serious.

The best comedy has an element of truth. I am a believer in God and His Son Jesus is my savior…but there is plenty in organized “religion” to mock. Tyrants and seekers of fame and power are not just in government

Laying religion aside, the lecturer hadn’t any use for god either.

http://www.twainquotes.com/God.html

In the end, what has any of this to do with the above quote?

It has everything to do with the person quoted.

I’m not seeing any connection to the quote by Mark Twain and what you’re saying about his views on religion, which you have not even sourced.

The quote isn’t even about religion it’s about patriotism and what makes a patriot.

But it has even more to do with YOU and your lost soul ! :laughing: keep quacking :laughing:

Of course I did… funny how little use you guys have for those without religion. Until they say something that you like. And btw, point me to a Mark Twain patriot today

You sourced a page with random quotes on it. You did not provide an authoritative source demonstrating that Twain had no use for God.

From your source:

God puts something good and loveable in every man His hands create. - The American Vandal speech, 1868

This also has nothing to do with the essence of the original quote.

Is your assumption that an atheist cannot be a patriot? Does one have to agree with every aspect of a person’s life and beliefs before their comments have validity? Can you outline the connection between the original quote here and your comment?

The typical retort, say something to demean or degrade, in the style of Alinsky

Exactly…I thinks it’s the “isolate” step from the Rules for Radicals.

I don’t believe that Mark Twain was any sort of patriot.

Lol, why are you then quoting from an un-authoritative source? Would not Mark Twain’s own book, thoughts on god, be authority enough.

Once again, answering no questions.

Best bet is to stop feeding the troll. 3 flags remove a post :wink:

Lol, yes indeed, censorship.