Mueller invokes unusual ‘conspiracy to defraud government’ charge to ensnare more targets

Anything, just find anything to impeach Trump cry the democrats.

Special counsel Robert Mueller and his prosecutors have invoked an unusual “conspiracy to defraud the government” charge to ensnare a Russian cyber network and could use the same legal strategy to go after President Trump and his associates, even if the conspiracy is not linked to a criminal act.
Although the president constantly denies any wrongdoing, Mr. Mueller’s 10-month-long investigation has become the heart of the Trump-Russian election meddling saga, dominating headlines and leaving the White House tangled in conflict and controversy as additional charges have also been filed against four of his close associates — with further indictments likely.
Last month, Mr. Mueller, a Republican and former FBI director, indicted 13 Russian nationals connected to the Internet Research Agency (IRA) Russian “troll farm,” accusing the IRA of interfering in the 2016 U.S. presidential election by spreading fake news stories through U.S. social media. The same approach was employed in securing a plea deal last month with Rick Gates, the aide for former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort.
What has attracted attention in legal circles is the underlying legal theory behind the indictments, accusing the Russians of essentially committing a crime by preventing agencies of the U.S. government from carrying out the duties. Mr. Mueller appears to be leveraging the theory “into a powerful instrument with respect to both foreign and domestic actors,” according to a recent article on Lawfare, a national security blog by the Lawfare Institute and Brookings Institution.
Emma Kohse, Harvard International Law Journal editor-in-chief, Benjamin Wittes, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and the Lawfare blog’s top editor, argue that, based in the language of the indictments and the legal precedents behind them, the “conspiracy to defraud the government” charge provides the Mueller team with significant flexibility in trying to build a case against Mr. Trump and members of his 2016 campaign.
Mr. Mueller’s prosecutors charge in the indictment that the Russian defendants conspired to obstruct U.S. government agencies in multiple ways, including improper campaign expenditures, failing to register as foreign agents carrying out political activities and also deceitfully obtaining visas — in essence blocking the Federal Election Commission and the State Department, among other agencies, from doing their jobs.

Pretty sad isn’t it.

Their conclusion is mute as it was a bipartisan committee but in partisan fashion the Republican members ended the investigation and produced their report without consultation of the democrats. What Mueller does is what’s important.

Have you read Rod Rosenstien’s commission letter for Mueller?

(b) The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation con nned by then-FBI Director James 8. Co ey in testimony be re the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
(i) any links an or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and
(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly om the investigation; and
(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).
© If the Special Counsel believes it is necessary and appropriate, the Special Counsel is
authorized to prosecute deral crimes arising om the investigation of these matters.

Any such investigation that fails to result in Hillary being locked up is a conspiracy !!!

If Mueller truly has no boundaries in his investigation, he would be also investigation the Clinton campaign. Yet he doesn’t;t which puts him in the partisan hack category looking for anything to implicate Trump as the democrats and of course John is demanding.

“We have gone completely off the rails, and now we’re basically a political forum for people to leak information to drive the day’s news,” GOP Rep. Tom Rooney said during an interview on CNN’s “Erin Burnett OutFront.”

I think he might have been referring to the antics of one Adam Schiff…

Their is nothing happening in Washington to day with respect to the ‘collusion’ subject that is not highly partisan. Schiffy has leaked and ranted and produces shoddy responses. People will believe what they want. Two reports will be issued no doubt and the press will do what the press does. I think that the questions raised by the committee have been duly noted at the DOJ and must play on the minds of Mueller’s team… we will see if the stain comes out in the wash…

What’s Adam Schiff going to do now? His only purpose in life was to make an ass of himself at this country and then go full bug eyes for the cameras afterwards.

(CNN)Republican Rep. Tom Rooney is calling for an end to the House Intelligence Committee’s investigation into possible collusion in Russia’s 2016 election meddling, arguing that its only purpose is to drive the media narrative for Democrats.

Rooney, a member of the committee, slammed his Democratic colleagues for leaking former White House communications director Hope Hicks’ testimony, where she admitted to telling white lies for President Donald Trump.
“That’s why tonight I’ve asked our Chairman (Mike) Conaway that we need to end this investigation,” he told CNN’s Erin Burnett on “OutFront.” "It’s been going on for a year. We’ve interviewed scores of witnesses and now we’ve gotten to the point now where we’re literally bringing people in for nine hours just so the Democrats can leak to the press something as ridiculous as ‘white lies.’ "

This committee hasn’t even interviewed all the necessary witnesses. This was a political shit show controlled by republicans interested in protecting the TIC. Muellers got the serious non political legal work going on.

ROTFLMAO.

And your hallucinogen of choice??

What will be interesting is if Sessions appoints another Special Counsel to investigate the FBI/DOJ then Mueller will himself become a principal subject of this new investigation because he was the former Director of the FBI. I wonder if, under the rules, he would then have to step down as a Special Counsel.

LOL!

Lol, I’m sure that you’d be happy for that to happen, but no, NOT going to happen without a blow out, even from republicans.

It’s getting more and more possible.

I don’t like these Special Counsels. They are accountable to no one and have no real restriction on what and how they investigate. Mueller’s goal is to bring Trump down.

Pilot, you were just musing the possibility of ANOTHER special council that could throw a monkey wrench into the Mueller investigation. Apparently you’re selective in your support for special councils. The right sure did support special council Ken Starr.

Not true, he’s accountable to the Trump administration and Rod Rosenstein in particular.

Yup, I sure did, but only for the Whitewater part.

Janet Reno then, for reasons known only to her, added the sexual adventures of Clinton and Lewinsky to his portfolio. I didn’t care about his sexual predilections. Then when he lied under oath to a federal judge, which was stupid and criminal I was for his impeachment. I knew he would never be convicted.