North Korea calls for reunification with South Korea

North Korea has called on “all Koreans at home and abroad” to “promote contact (and) cooperation between North and South Korea”.

State media in North Korea also said Pyongyang would “smash” all challenges against reunification of the Korean peninsula.

Koreans are being urged to make a “breakthrough” for unification without other countries’ help.

The North’s official news agency said military tension on the Korean peninsula was a “fundamental obstacle” to the improvement of inter-Korean relations.

It added that joint military drills with “outside forces” were unhelpful when better relations between North and South Korea were being sought.

It came as the North’s ice hockey team - dressed in DPRK jackets - crossed the militarised border to form Korea’s first-ever unified team for next month’s Winter Olympics.

North and South Korea will march under one flag as the joint team competes in Pyeongchang.

The Unification Flag, which features the entire peninsula and surrounding islands in blue on a white background, was last used in 2006 at the Winter Olympics in Italy.

North Korea is sending 22 athletes to the winter games.

Twelve of those are the ice hockey players who on Thursday arrived in the South with their coach, two support staff and other officials.

They were met by several dozen protesters who shouted slogans and held a sign demanding the beheading of North Korea leader Kim Jong Un.

The players will travel to a training centre to meet their 23 South Korean teammates and were expected to start practising together later on Thursday.

A poll in the South showed around 70% were opposed to the joint hockey team, claiming it will deprive their players of time on the rink.

Less than a year ago everyone was panicking that there would be a nuclear war with North Korea because of Trump. Less that 3 months ago everyone was going bonkers over Trump tweeting about North Korea nukes. Now, North Korea is talking reunification.

Playing in the big league really ups N. Korea’s politic game lately. No more wailing and tantrum throwing like the old days, when other leaders espcially from the US treat N. Korea with Kids’ gloves.

Of course we have been down this ‘reunification’ road before. Pyongyang has always wanted the complete peninsula under communist control… thats what started the war in 1951 in the first place. With SKorea having a leftist leader, who can say what will happen but if they reunify under communist rule, it will show USFP of containment to be an absolute waste of time and the the UN worthless. Their ever was only one way to stop the spread of communism and we lost the initiative when MacArthur was stopped from going to Peking…

Lol, smoke and mirrors. A unified North Korea under Pyongyang??? Btw, North Korea is not a threat to the US so much for the TIC’s blustery talk.

Kim Jong-Un will tell his people that North Korea will be the ones running the unification between north and south. That’s what strongman despots do. It allows them to save face with their people if reunification negotiations fell apart. I think a very different story is unfolding behind the scenes. Kim was not raised under the North Korean regime. He’s as Western as any of us. He went to fancy international schools in Europe, is fluent in English, and is a consumer of Western media and culture. I also understand that he is an avid video gamer. If he is carving out a deal, it will be to make North Korea more like South Korea.

A unified Korea is not in the interests of Russia and China. So don’t look for it anytime soon.

A unified Korea is in the interests of the USA, Japan, and South Korea. Those three combined economies offer more to the North Koreans than any continued partnerships with China and Russia does. As I said - Kim Jong Un also gravitates towards the West based on his upbringing and personal tastes. He’s a young man and may not want to keep this game up for the rest of his life.

Which is exactly why it’s not in the interests of Russia and China. You need to understand the implications of the potential for US troops and influence on those two countries borders.

It depends on who is running it…

The Russians and Chinese like to dominate within their geographic spheres of influence. That’s never going to change. I think you are placing way too much importance on the military aspect. The US already has a massive presence in the region. Our aircraft and military personnel can be anywhere in the world on a moment’s notice. Our surveillance satellites are second to none. Our intelligence personnel are already operating in Russia and China just as theirs are here. Geographically, the shared North Korean border with China and Russia is very small relative to their landmasses.

There will be no unification if US troops remain in country… and US troops will not remain in the country if it is unified under Kim… and liberalism being what it is whole capable of letting Kim walk through the door…

I imagine Kim having some kind of provincial governor status for life and getting to keep his Pyongyang palace. The kid wants to drink, party, watch basketball, and play video games. If the South Koreans would let him have that you would see the DMZ fall apart in minutes. Kim has a net worth of 5B USD and my guess is he wants to spend it.

Well maybe but I have yet to see a despot that doesn’t need to be put down to end their quest for power and control… Most authoritarians seem to line their pockets quite well but they just can’t seem to take their hand off of the oar…

I think that’s right with despots who climbed to power and took things over on their own. Kim came out of nowhere and was anointed as the chosen ruler by his father. It was probably a strange experience for a kid raised in Switzerland and who is a known NBA fanatic.

He already has wiped out the old guard party elites and installed people who are all his age and who were also raised in Western countries as the children of North Korean diplomats.

Maybe I just believe that the power of capitalism and Western culture has a greater pull than running your own boring isolated little country and not being able to leave it. Kim is a prisoner with a kingdom and has a lot of money burning a hole in his pocket.

Re-unification is a great idea as long as Kim is in charge.

Their is merit in your comments… but I’m not so sure which is capturing what… Is capitalism being co-opted by communism to where the eventual outcome is state run and controlled everything… Or is capitalism just a lost leader in the debasement of society and government to the glorification of the globalist one world order boys…

And the US likes to dominate well outside its “spheres of influence”, but that is changing.

It’s about Russia and China, not lil Kim.

The so-called renewification of NK and SK would be similar to annexation of Czechoslovakia by Nazi Germany only worse.Lil Kim would remain in charge and immediately purge those who he believes would attempt to oust him or hinder his so-called vision.
He is a serious threat to Japan and others that would.be within range of his missiles.A reunited NK and SK with a SK style government would be better for both Russia and Communist China since they wouldn’t have a loose cannon to worry about and would be a better trading partner.

Russia and China aren’t worried about that. They are far more concerned with a unified Korea and further US influence ON THEIR BORDERS.