North Korea calls for reunification with South Korea

Again, that has exactly nothing to do with the resource exploitation nature of our military. Shrug

The thing is the “exploitation nature of our military” is manly in your mind .
Almost all American are grateful to the men and women currently in our all volunteer armed forces !
The armed forces start missing their quotas and we will benefit from the draft again .

Stop pretending that you can’t read.

Pentagon sponsored study declares American empire is ‘collapsing’
Report demands massive expansion of military-industrial complex to maintain global ‘ACCESS TO RESOURCES’

I can read and this is a study of America policy’s past to present and a guide into the future .
I am going to link the report you can read it or download it to read later . Don’t be fooled by cheery picked phrases read the report and make your own conclusions .https://ssi.armywarcollege.edu/pdffiles/PUB1358.pdf

This is especially worrisome in light of the imperative to adapt to post-primacy cir-cumstances. While the United States may still be the most important international actor in the state system, it can no longer count on the unassailable position of dominance, supremacy, or pre-eminence it enjoyed for the 20-plus years after the fall of the Soviet Union. Recognition of post-primacy is not a defeatist perspective. It is a wakeup call.2

The views expressed in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy
or position of the Department of the Army, the Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government. Authors
of Strategic Studies Institute (SSI) and U.S. Army War College (USAWC) Press publications enjoy full academic freedom, provided they do not disclose classified information, jeopardize operations security,
or misrepresent official U.S. policy. Such academic freedom empowers them to offer new and sometimes
controversial perspectives in the interest of furthering debate on key issues. This report is cleared for public release; distribution is unlimited.

After seven years of Obama leadership !

A U.S. Army War College (USAWC) study team took on the risk issue specifically in July of 2016. This report outlines its findings. It opens a meaningful discussion on what enterprise-level risk identification and assessment should look like in the volatile post-primacy environment. It suggests that risk is the principal business of DoD’s senior-most leadership. In addition, it further argues that corporate-level risk judgments at the strategic and military levels of analysis should revolve around a new post-primacy risk
concept. That concept has four governing principles: diversity, dynamism, persistent dialogue, and
adaptation.

On the vertical continuum from top to bottom, strategic risk is the likelihood that DoD fails to effectively focus or define what the team calls DoD’s principal risk portfolio.
Military risk, on the other hand, involves judgments on the likelihood
that DoD fails to adequately counter hazards to enduring defense objectives through
the individual demands included in the portfolio. Along the horizontal time con-tinuum, operational risk
involves judgments on DoD’s near-term vulnerabilities in the former two dimensions, and future challenges i accounts for similar vulner-abilities over time

We assess the likelihood of a variety of problems—most notably, failure or prohibitive costs in
pursuit of . . . objectives. This approach recognizes that some objectives, though desirable, may be
unattainable, while others, though attainable, may not be worth the costs.

On both counts and in the words of one member of the study’s expert working group (EWG), contemporary risk assessment should start from the jarring realization that “we can lose.”7
The U.S. military hazards sacrificing core interests and objectives, global position, and material capability if it does not act now to have a greater appreciation for military- and strategic-level risk in the contem- porary environment.

Now, it is becoming increasingly clear that the United States is either at the doorstep
or in the midst of a third—even more uncertain—wave of foundational strategic change.
This study labels this period “post-primacy.” For DoD, post-primacy is marked by five
interrelated characteristics:

While the United States remains a global political, economic, and military giant, it no
longer enjoys an unassailable position versus state competitors. Further, it remains buf-
feted by a range of metastasizing violent or disruptive nonstate challengers, and it is
under stress—as are all states—from the dispersion and diffusion of effective resistance
and the varied forces of disintegrating or fracturing political authority. In brief, the sta-
tus quo that was hatched and nurtured by U.S. strategists after World War II and has
for decades been the principal “beat” for DoD is not merely fraying but may, in fact, be
collapsing. Consequently, the United States’ role in and approach to the world may be
fundamentally changing as well.

Except, except they have no idea of they even exist.

May Have

Is not the same as HAS.

Your link doesn’t blame anything on Obama. Obama is just one in a line of presidents that all share in the blame with regards to the decline of the American empire. Russia and China have long been vocal in their criticisms of a unipolar world dominated by the US and the threat it poses to global security. And again, the Pentagon sponsored report that I linked to is a plea for expansion to the Military Industrial Complex to perpetuate GLOBAL RESOURCE EXPLOITATION.

Read the report then we can discus your twisted anti American views against the reality of the report .

Lol. If I’m anti American for pointing to the report, is the us Army War College anti American for writing it? :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

So weakened is U.S. power, that it can no longer even “automatically generate consistent and sustained local military superiority at range.”
It’s not just U.S. power that is in decline. The U.S. Army War College study concludes that:
“[A]ll states and traditional political authority structures are under increasing pressure from endogenous and exogenous forces… The fracturing of the post-Cold War global system is accompanied by the in­ternal fraying in the political, social, and economic fabric of practically all states.”

While in our free nation I strongly oppose mandatory service, I suspect a draft with no loopholes like the deferments created during Vietnam, we would likely see far fewer conflicts when congress, business leaders and democracy spreaders actually have to pull their kids out of college or off some Occupy picket line to go get shot at…

Why on earth would you be quoting that… you have consistently been for defunding the military. Now I will agree that our scope of the word defense has expanded far beyond its original meaning (not unlike that of ‘Promoting’ the general welfare) but we have a severely depleted military, down-level equipment and a nuclear arsenal that needs updating just to stay in the game.

I’m guessing that you know that there will be no reunification of the two Korea’s???

Unfortunately nothing short of NK invading SK will make it possible.

I wonder if mandatory service directly out of HS wouldn’t be a good idea.

Some would serve in the military, some in government service.

The benefits would be a growing up period.
Service to your country.
An appreciation for freedom.
Responsibility.
To name a few.

The draft is a shitty option for a supposedly free country. Conscientious objection or just a fundamental objection to military adventurism, or resource exploitation becomes problematic just to name a few.

You are no doubt right. All though I pretty much understood the discipline of military service as a GI brat, 10 years active helped me grow and made my work ethic and pride in my country and its constitution even stronger. Thats not to say that various military misadventures didn’t bug me but I still felt pride … if you will… in my tribe. Conscription would be a time of growing and learning but it just doesn’t square with me that you MUST ‘serve your country’ as a requisite to be a US citizen any more than does the individual mandate forcing someone to buy a product to be a citizen in good standing.

I don’t think less then ten percent of the nation should carry ninety percent of the nation .
The nation benefits from the draft with a trained fighting force whether active or inactive .
Just look at the cost to those that have served and been deployed over and over again !
After adjusting for differences in age and sex, risk for suicide was 22 percent higher among Veterans when compared to U.S. non-Veteran adults. After adjusting for differences in age, risk for suicide was 19 percent higher among male Veterans when compared to U.S. non-Veteran adult men. After adjusting for differences in age, risk for suicide was 2.5 times higher among female Veterans when compared to U.S. non-Veteran adult women.

I wonder how the multiple deployments affected the suicide numbers.

I then wonder is it a good use of our reserve military people to back fill the lack of people in the military.

I see the value of every citizen participating in the military and also the downside.

I see no downside in all America men serving in our armed forces .
Six month or two years active duty will make America a better and safer nation .

That presupposes that our military engagements are all about making America safe which I’ve showed you repeatedly the department of defense acknowledges otherwise.