Police Arrest an Alexandria Virgina Man for Making Hateful Online Comments

Police arrested a 24-year-old man who they say anonymously threatened to kill people at Howard University nearly two years ago.

Officials say that John Edgar Rust, a previously convicted felon, posted messages on the web forums 4chan and Reddit on November 11, 2015 from a Panera Bread restaurant in Alexandria.

He’s been charged with the transmission in interstate commerce of a communication containing threats to injure the person of another, according to a release from the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.

The threats came two days after University of Missouri president Timothy Wolfe resigned amid protests about his handling of racial issues on campus.

The message posted to 4chan included a photo of Wolf. Rust, an Alexandria resident, allegedly wrote that he left Missouri the previous day because he “couldn’t put up with it anymore,” and when he returned home he saw the same thing on the news: black people “causing trouble everywhere.”

So he came up with a plan, according to this except from his post:

Any n***** left at Howard University after 10 tomorrow will be the first to go. And any of those cheapskate n***** who try to get out using the metro will regret that choice real fast. Sure, the po po will take me down, but I’ll go out a hero knowing I made the world better. I just hope at least someone else can see it too and continue the fight.

They were too stupid to know what to do when they got freed. They’re too stupid to know what to do now they got rights. Sometimes the best thing to do is to put stupid out of its misery.

After all, it’s not murder if they’re black.

And what are your thoughts on this. A convicted felon who’s threatening to kill someone, on line, over the phone, in a note left on your door, to your face, it doesn’t matter. I have no problem with this. And the thread title is a bit deceptive, threatening to kill somebody is a lot more than hateful comments. And particularly in today’s climate of angry white men that have been grabbing guns and shooting up complete strangers, in Roof’s case because they were born the wrong color, as is apparent with this guy. Btw, the dudes not very bright either, to be documenting a threat to kill people.

Boy is there a bit of bias running in all your post ? I agree the nut should be charged and have to pay the price but the
"climate of angry white men that have been grabbing guns and shooting up complete strangers ." I suppose blacks only shoot their friends ? :roll_eyes:

You agree the nut should be charged!!! I’ll take it.

I totally agree , no one has the right to threaten others with death ! That go’s for the BLM group and the new black panthers , wouldn’t you AGREE ???

I absolutely would…

And …"pigs in a blanket , fry them like bacon " … comes to mind ! :laughing:

Not sure what you’re talking about there.

Where is the government arresting the hate filled left?

Threats against a president like Kathy Giffens is ignored while this person is prosecuted.

The dual standards of our criminal/justice system.

Inappropriate for sure. But doesn’t rise to the level of the black lives matter group sending a pointed message to a particular police department accompanied by a picture of the police chief and telling them that any cops remaining in the station after 10:00 will be the first to go.

Where’s the bias? The op is about an angry white man declaring that he “can’t take it anymore”. Cause to believe he’s at the breaking point. VERY APROPOS.

Where do you come up with this crap? It’s the same exact thing. They are making terroristic threats and calling for violence against police. What about all the celebrities that have joked about killing the President? Does that fit your model? Because in those cases we have specific people, making specific threats, against a specific person.

This is ridiculous. The kid made online comments 2 years ago and is being arrested for it now? Obviously he didn’t act on those comments. Where’s the crime?

Nope, I don’t like joking about doing any harm to the president, ever, no matter who it is. I didn’t appreciate it every time that I saw president Bush hung in effigy either. Nobody should ever want to see anything bad happen to our president. That would not be good for the country. The ballot box is the ONLY place that we deal with a president that we don’t like. Otherwise, I’m sorry that you can’t see the difference between the BLM marching with a banner that is truly in distaste, and someone specifically threatening to kill a dean and students at a specified college. Can’t help you.

How come you stayed away from his point on celebrities and the elite?

Just a bit exaggerated isn’t it.

Because he’s having a hard enough time keeping his convoluted narrative straight. He provided an example where A + B = C and when I gave it back to him using the example of hardcore lefty celebrities his whole equation shit the bed.

Not sure what group he’s referring to with “elite” but celebrities, I thought I did address that. Criticize the president if you will. But comments about hurting or killing the president even if “so called joking” IS OFF LIMITS.

No, it’s that you won’t acknowledge the difference between them and the op. They are wrong to be sure, and I’ve been very clear about that. But they aren’t the same as the op.