Seattle will now send juvenile criminals to therapy instead of correctional facilities

King County may soon treat youth crime as a public-health issue, rather than a problem meriting only punishment.

Flanked by Seattle’s interim Mayor Tim Burgess, County Executive Dow Constantine announced Thursday that Juvenile Detention Services will aim for a “trauma-informed” approach to incarcerated youth. The ultimate goal, both men said, is zero youth incarceration.

Youth crime is a sign of ill-health in the community,” said Burgess, endorsing the move. King County would become the first jurisdiction in the nation to handle juvenile crime through a public-health system, he added.

By mid-February, Public Health-Seattle & King County will report on how best to effect this change, which could result in reorganizing Juvenile Detention Services under the health department.

Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole weighed in with wholehearted support, calling the public-health orientation a “bold step.”

Constantine’s order comes two weeks after a class-action lawsuit was filed against King County on behalf of four teens held in solitary confinement at an adult jail in Kent. The suit prompted Constantine to direct that all juvenile defendants charged as adults be moved to the Youth Services Center in Seattle.

Constantine’s announcement also continues a broader trend in the prosecutor’s office, one that has allowed a handful of teens facing felony charges to clear their records by participating in peace circles and counseling.

In general, the initiative has been hailed.

But Stephanie Trollen, who manages victim assistance efforts for the prosecutor’s office, acknowledged that many harmed by youth crime could view the public-health orientation as “too soft” and rubbing “salt in the wound.”

“I think the reception will be very mixed,” she said.

Already, serious questions have come up. Last month one young man who claimed to have made a complete turnaround was charged with first-degree murder for fatally stabbing another teen while undergoing the peace-circle process.

Chief Juvenile Prosecutor Jimmy Hung, while shaken by that outcome, is not deterred.

Research on the juvenile incarceration shows little positive effect beyond increasing the likelihood of future criminal behavior, he noted, and state law mandates that youth imprisonment be directed at rehabilitation, not punishment.

The best way to prevent “another 10 victims down the road,” Hung said, is to work with young people and their families.

Another way to artificially lower the incarceration statistics, “discriminating” by race and age. Crime will go up, but you wont see it in the numbers, bc hey they are just a bit “sick in the heads”, and worse, they wont be locked up either. Good job, seattle.

While we are probably well over due for tough love in many ways, we have, as they correctly state, created very unhealthy society for children to grow up in. As with gun crime, we have traveled a long path to get to the point where people have so little respect for human life that they have little conscience about pulling the trigger. The liberal society has no idea what it has created in our country and refuses to look at it relative value system as a source.

In passing, during one of Steve Bannon’s talks a couple of months ago he mentioned a book so I thought I would pick it up and give it a read. I think that it should be required reading in freshman high school (Shared study with family members would be a bonus) and a premiere for every law that those on high feel necessary to pass… teachers and councilors should have a peak as well.

The book is called ’ Hillbilly Elegy ’ By J. D. Vance.

Where I probably have a problem with their approach is that it, like most state run ‘help’ tends to take us deeper down the rabbit hole… Self Reliance, Self Belief and Personal Responsibility are not high in the collectivist liberal mindset.

That happens to be the very same approach Congress and the Senate use to “help” those they sexually abuse !

I think there should be alternatives for kids. I was a pretty bad kid growing up and was always in trouble with the police. During the summer of my junior year in high school I got caught vandalizing the school. The police arrested me and took me to the local jail in the police station - which was empty. My parents showed up and had me stay there over the weekend. When I had to go to court the judge sentenced me to community service. My punishment was to clean up the graffiti at the school and spend 8 hours a day, three days a week, for the entire summer at the police station washing and waxing the police cars. It was probably one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I got to know all of the police officers personally. They were all really great people with nice families. By the end of the summer I was treated like a part of the department and they had a big party for me for completing my community service and doing a great job. The summer after my senior year I worked there as a dispatcher. I never once acted up again and ditched all of the people in my life who did.

There are more effective ways to deal with kids who are non-violent troublemakers. For the violent kids, I do think they need help, but in those cases jail time probably would do them some good too.

The book that I pointed out talks mainly about poor kids and was written with white families in mind but I think its relevance to all poor or disadvantaged families is important. Most of the trouble that these kids get into is because of generations of disadvantaged and broken families… Given the right structure and encouragement, most kids can do ok… but a lot of that atmosphere is lost in communities that have lost the values taught by the church and by government that destroys incentive…

I agree, that most of these have to do with the environment locally, and culture at large. Parents play an important role, and when the parents suckle on the government’s tits for handouts and slack around while being absent, kids will look elsewhere for a role model, whether its an older kid at school or that next door neighbor.

Also, the media that they consume growing up…

I think there should be alternatives for kids

Thanks for the anecdote. I think my intention of posting this article was pointing out the exoneration of kids that would otherwise be tried as adults, as i linked an article of a stabbing by kids of a 16-18 year old trio. Again, instead of going after the root cause i.e. rampant welfare queens having kids they can take care off, creating bad neighborhoods etc… the county decides to dumb more money into the problem, just to tweak with crime statistics.

The thing about psychological therapy is, it is more of a self-help process, and most of the progress has to come from the patients. Shrinks can only guide the patients so far along, and often time the unethical / lazy / incompetent ones just prescribe medications that numb your emotions, shrink your brain, and kill your EQ. Now, imagine a system where a shrink, instead of forming personal connections with their patients, is put on an assembly-line time while churning through these kids who are forced to be there. You can see that it is, again with most things the gov’t touches, wasteful and potentially dangerous.

And should these teens attend “peace circle”?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/hero-father-thwarted-alleged-kidnapping-attempt-said-still-144906504--abc-news-topstories.html

Started at the 32:00 mark. He disagreed with putting criminals back on the street despite their ages, and the blaming culture in general.

This was a very good interview and he makes some salient points. Of course the problem here is that … well… we have raise about three generations of children (boomers included) who have gone well off the rails. Todays young people are the product of that social experiment. We cannot and should not excuse their behavior but we must find some way to harness their energy. As far as fixing the problem… It will be a long hard slog from the bottom up and will require at least a couple of generations to fix…

I truly enjoy listening to articulate blacks who find freedom and individual responsibility to be the answer over government and state sponsored ‘guidance’… Some folks can’t stomach that kind of talk… it interferes with their struggle for central control… and all the minions they have trained can’t handle individual responsibility…

It’s quite interesting, when most of the educated black speakers want what best for the black community (no welfare, stop democratic rule over inner city, bring back the “parents / mentors” privilege to black children etc), they are labeled as “uncle Tom” and such. Quite tragic, but as the same time, its sort of a normal, observable behavior of the black community, this jealousy for the educated and well-to-do, as recalled by this black student

And Im sure you’d enjoy the interview Rubin conducted with Larry Elder. You can see that this is one of the turning point for Rubin, to separate himself between the two segregating political spheres, of liberalism and leftism