Site Maintenance - 29 NOV 16

I had to shut the server down for about 30 minutes this morning - sorry to anyone who may have lost a post. I am generally able to do 99.9% of upgrades and server work in the background - but this update was focused on our security and I had to rebuild the site a few times.

We are good to go now and I’ll post a message in advance with a time if I will need to shut things down manually for a few minutes.

So it was YOU !!! Authoritarians… I tell you… Obama has been seeking this kind of power over the Internet since his took office…

But thanks for the dedicated work anyway!:+1:

I had a great new topic ready to post and now it’s gone forever as I can’t remember what it was.

Yeah - it was not a pleasant experience on this side. I go through each morning and check things to make sure we are running the latest version of everything. Well, this morning there were a few major upgrades needed. No big deal. I was cruising on autopilot when I realized that I forgot to backup the site before I executed the upgrade command. I know better. This was a rookie move and I blame my lack of coffee. When I do upgrades like this I am literally destroying the site and rebuilding the entire thing from scratch to bake in all new features (mostly security stuff) and close any security gaps if some might exist. Well, since I failed to do a backup things got interesting – the site would not come back online. Just a blank page. Thank goodness I was able to work through the problem. I keep a mirror of our database on a separate server that updates each time there is a change. A new post for example means a change which sends a signal to the other server to reflect the change in the database. Anyway, crisis averted. The lesson…always have a failsafe.

The lesson for me is…start doing nightly backups :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I always do my best work after lunch.

Never attempt anything in the AM especially early AM as I just can’t get my head on straight.

Last week In an attempt to finish a job early I acted against my primary rule and wiped out a gig worth of traffic data on a cell site. Fortunately had six sites active at the time and recovered quite nicely. Only took 6 hours on my dime.

Best of luck playing with servers always entertaining as you scramble to recover.

It’s age @LouMan… I did an upgrade in Hong Kong that was suppose to be invisible… well… one brain fart and 4 hours later … as some people say about their careers… sometimes its best to go out on a high…:innocent:

(just poppin off)

@Scott @LouMan @Desu since I have a captive audience regarding this issue…would you all mind taking a look at some custom CSS changes I have been working on? All I have to do is enable them and get some feedback from you guys. They will be visual changes to the homepage layout. Mind helping me out?

OK… And you could lower that 20 character minimum for replies… sometime OK is enough…

@Scott - changes are enabled - I’ll tackle the 20 character minimum in a second.

Think I liked the avatars the way they were. It tells who is the last poster to that thread and if you were the last poster to your own thread… Maybe their is a better way of relaying that information but I liked it the way it was… were their any other changes?

Nope - that was it. I think I can work that angle. I was trying to get more threads on the homepage by compressing and re-aligning some things.

Can you use just the originators avatar and the last poster?.. don’t know if that give you any extra space. The font was OK on the new page… I don’t remember if I saw any tags with the title but they could be dropped because other than on a search they are irrelevant anyway…

Yeah - that might work. Things get a little tricky with the margins and padding but all of that can be customized.

I can remove the meta tags from view…but I want to test how that would impact search engine indexing. I have a test forum up that I experiment with before I make any adjustments here. Google loves metadata - but the metadata needs to be correct. Let me experiment.

@Desu

If you want to dust off any of your CSS skills here is what I wrote:

##CSS

.topic-list .activity .latest-info {
    display: inline-block;
    vertical-align: middle;
}
.topic-list .activity img.avatar {
    vertical-align: middle;
    margin-right: 5px;
    max-height: 30px;
    max-width: 30px;
    margin-top: 1px;
    margin-bottom: 1px;
}
.topic-list .activity {
    width: 160px;
    text-align: left;
    padding-left: 20px;
    white-space: nowrap;
}
.topic-list .activity .latest-info .name {
    display: block;
    font-weight: bold;
    font-size: 0.9em;
    margin-top: 0px;
    color: #737373;
}
.topic-list .activity .latest-info .relative-date {
    display: block;
    font-size: 0.9em;
    color: #737373;
}
.topic-list th, .topic-list td { 
    padding: 5px 5px;
}

##HEADER

<script type='text/x-handlebars' data-template-name='list/topic-list-item.raw'>
    {{#if controller.bulkSelectEnabled}}
    <td class='star'>
        <input type="checkbox" class="bulk-select">
    </td>
    {{/if}}
    <td class='main-link clearfix' colspan="{{titleColSpan}}">
    {{raw "topic-status" topic=topic}}
    {{topic-link topic}}
    {{#if controller.showTopicPostBadges}}
        {{raw "topic-post-badges" unread=topic.unread newPosts=topic.displayNewPosts unseen=topic.unseen url=topic.lastUnreadUrl}}
    {{/if}}
    {{plugin-outlet "topic-list-tags"}}
    {{#if expandPinned}}
        {{raw "list/topic-excerpt" topic=topic}}
    {{/if}}
    {{raw "list/action-list" topic=topic postNumbers=topic.liked_post_numbers className="likes" icon="heart"}}
</td>
{{#unless controller.hideCategory}}
    {{#unless topic.isPinnedUncategorized}}
        {{raw "list/category-column" category=topic.category}}
    {{/unless}}
{{/unless}}
<td class="num views {{topic.viewsHeat}}">{{number topic.views numberKey="views_long"}}</td>
{{raw "list/posts-count-column" topic=topic}}
<td class="activity"
title="{{topic.bumpedAtTitle}}">
    <a href="{{topic.lastPostUrl}}">
        {{avatar topic.lastPoster usernamePath="username" imageSize="medium"}}
            <span class='latest-info'>
                <span class='name'>
                    {{topic.last_poster_username}}
                </span>
                {{format-date topic.bumpedAt format="medium"}}
            </span>
    </a>
</td>
</script>
<script type='text/x-handlebars' data-template-name='topic-list-header.raw'>
    {{#if bulkSelectEnabled}}
    <th class='star'>
        <button class='btn bulk-select' title='{{i18n "topics.bulk.toggle"}}'><i class='fa fa-list'></i></button>
    </th>
    {{/if}}
    {{raw "topic-list-header-column" order='default' name='topic.title' showBulkToggle=toggleInTitle}}
    {{#unless hideCategory}}
        {{raw "topic-list-header-column" sortable=sortable order='category' name='category_title'}}
    {{/unless}}
    {{raw "topic-list-header-column" sortable=sortable number='true' order='views' name='views'}}
    {{raw "topic-list-header-column" sortable=sortable number='true' order='posts' name='replies'}}
    {{raw "topic-list-header-column" sortable=sortable number='true' order='activity' name='admin.dashboard.latest_version'}}
</script>

@Patriot

As you were pasting that I was working on this.

// natural white background for content, light blue for margins
body:before {
    width: 1125px;
    min-height: 100%;
    height: inherit;
    background-color: #FDFBF9;
    content: " ";
    position: fixed;
    left: 50%;
    right: 0;
    transform: translate(-50%, 0);
    -webkit-transform: translate(-50%, 0);
}
// compatibility for all devices
@media (max-width: 1139px) and (min-width: 1000px)
{
        width: 1010px;
    }
}
body {
    background-color: #e6e6e6;
} 

Your change had me thinking that we could also experiment with adding some contrast - the pure white looks great on mobile but on a desktop it looks disturbingly white. This quick and dirty patch provides two colors to adjust. Dim the content background slightly, and add something a bit darker to fill the excess space on the sides.

I have no idea how you guys make sense of all of that code but thanks for reminding us how much work actually goes in to making a site like this.

Let me try - also going to try this:

site-logo.logo-big {
    max-height: 50px;
    max-width: 186px;
    margin-top: -5px;
}
.logo-small {
    max-height: 50px;
    max-width: 50px;
    margin-top: -5px;
}

I did this. Going to try it now - live.

// natural white background for content, light blue for margins
    width: 1125px;
    min-height: 100%;
    height: inherit;
    background-color: #FDFBF9;
    content: " ";
    position: fixed;
    left: 50%;
    right: 0;
    transform: translate(-50%, 0);
    -webkit-transform: translate(-50%, 0);
}
// compatibility for all devices
@media (max-width: 1139px) and (min-width: 1000px)
{
        width: 1010px;
    }
}
body {
    background-color: #e6e6e6;
}

/*header stripe, shadow*/
.d-header {
box-shadow: 0 4px 8px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.25);
box-shadow: 0px 4px 8px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.25);
border-bottom: 3px solid #1da1f2;
}

Needs some work - but I can make some tweaks. Mobile stays. Could you add in the enlarged logos? Just want to see how it impacts header.

Logo looks bad with that adjustment - but it has potential, we would just need a new logo which I am not good at. Here add this when you make adjustments. It provides some light shadows around the content.

body.docked::before{
	box-shadow: 0px 0px 8px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.25);
}

I’m reverting back now.