Some Minneapolis Restaurants Adding Fee To Fund Health Care

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Starting Friday, a number of Minneapolis restaurants will include an extra fee with your meal to fund health care.

Barbette, the Bryant Lake Bowl and the Bird are just a few of Kim Bartmann’s restaurants. She’s adding a 3 percent service charge to customer’s checks to offset the rising cost of healthcare for her employees.

It comes to 60 cents for every $20 spent.

Health and dental benefits have been part of Bartmann’s business for many years.

If the cost of insuring her employees is going up, not much else she can do. The surcharge doesn’t seem to me like it would create a massive imposition on customers. I don’t think she will lose any business over it and it probably won’t put her high end restaurants at risk.

You think.

Perfect answer when your clueless as to the workings of a business and their cost/pricing structure.

We’re you referring to my post? Or were you referring to the decision of the business owner to impose a surcharge?

Calling it a surcharge would offend most , but all of the costs of running a business will be included in the price of the product and as costs rise so will the cost of what ever it is you are buying .

Who cares?

It’s her business and if she wants to put that charge on the bill instead of just marking up the prices she has a right to do so. That doesn’t mean everyone will agree with paying it. If people don’t like it and are going to get pissed off spending 60 cents extra per 20 bucks then they can go elsewhere. That’s why we have competition and a free market.

And there you have it.

Business pays no expense for taxes. It’s all built into the cost of goods and services.

The breaking point is when people give her the finger and say, no thanks.

p.s. I know of no restaurants that pay for healthcare for employee below assistant manager.

Plenty of high end restaurants provide healthcare benefits for their employees. From dishwashers and executive chefs to sommeliers and front of the house. I know this because my brother has been a sommelier for the past 10 years and has worked all over the country. He’s always received good pay and benefits.

Good on.

ROTFLMAO.
The restaurant industry is a large and fast-growing sector of the U.S. economy. It currently employs 5.5 million women (accounting for 9.9 percent of all private-sector employment among women) and 5.1 million men (accounting for 8.4 percent of private-sector employment among men). The restaurant industry includes a wide range of establishments, from fast-food to full-service restaurants, from food trucks to caterers, from coffee shops to bars. While there are certainly employers in the restaurant industry who provide high-quality jobs, by and large the industry consists of very low-wage jobs with few benefits, and many restaurant workers live in poverty or near-poverty.
Restaurant workers rarely receive fringe benefits.
Just 14.4 percent of restaurant workers receive health insurance from their employer, compared with roughly half (48.7 percent) of other workers. Of unionized restaurant workers, 41.9 percent receive health insurance at work, substantially higher than the share among nonunionized restaurant workers.

Not sure what’s funny about it. The majority of restaurants are sole proprietorships and thus pay like shit. True fine dining restaurants and restaurant groups are few and far between. Those places do pay and offer benefits. My brother went to the Culinary Institute then Cornell for Hotel and Hospitality Management…then got his advanced sommelier certification. He has taken the Master sommelier exam a few times but hasn’t made it yet - there are only 230 master sommeliers on the planet. The dude gets paid.

That you would believe this is unbelievable.

Few restaurants pay benefits as it’s an entry level job. ENTRY level and not meant to be a permanent lifetime job.

We are obviously talking about two different things. I’m talking about fine dining. You are talking about diners and fast food.

I can’t say that ALL fine dining restaurants provide benefits, but the ones my brother has worked at have.

Fine dining is also not entry level. Want your Chateaubriand cooked perfectly? You don’t go to a greasy spoon for that. You also need to wear a jacket and tie.

The stats are from he industry.

The only career in the restaurant business is the manager and possibly the assistant manager.

It’s why it’s called entry level jobs.

Those aren’t the only “careers” in the restaurant industry. Is an executive chef an entry level position? How about a master sommelier? Do they just hire Mexicans off the street to be executive chefs at places like Per Se, French Laundry, or Rose’s Luxury? If you don’t know what those places are, or why they are important, then you don’t know anything about fine dining or the nuances of the restaurant industry.

Oh…and just to prove my initial point on fine dining being different and traditionally offering benefits:

I’ll go be a dishwasher in Napa Valley! That’s probably the only area of California I can tolerate for long periods of time :wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

You win, I give up.

As with most of the left, you missed the point entirely as you wander off on a tangent.

The extremism runs rampant with this one.

So anyone that disagrees with you is a leftist? Give me a break. Maybe whatever point you were trying to make was missed because it wasn’t well articulated.