Swing-vote Justice Kennedy retires from US Supreme Court

Brett Kavanaugh, the guy who believes presidents are above the law. When Trump heard he wrote that opinion, his mind was set of course.

U.S. Circuit Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a former clerk for Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy who is viewed as one of the leading contenders to replace him, has argued that presidents should not be distracted by civil lawsuits, criminal investigations or even questions from a prosecutor or defense attorney while in office.

Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh, the front-runner to replace Justice Anthony M. Kennedy on the Supreme Court, once argued that President Bill Clinton could be impeached for lying to his staff and misleading the public, a broad definition of obstruction of justice that would be damaging if applied to President Trump in the Russia investigation.

Hmmm, good point; please point to the provision requiring the majority party to put off a SCOTUS pick until after the other party has a chance to gain a numerical advantage and install one of their choosing. I’ll wait.

How about Brett Kavanaugh, a man that believes presidents are above the law…yeah, that’s the kind of freak republicans and Trumpers would want on the court…:roll_eyes:

Exactly. There is nothing in the constitution that provides for no confirmations in election years…

It is a notion brought up by Joe Biden to ensure Obama could put in Kagan (who never even served as a judge) and Sotomayor who feels White males are not as good as “wise Latina(s)”.

It worked, but as McConnel warned at the time “I say to my friends on the other side of the aisle, you’ll regret this. And you may regret it a lot sooner than you think.”

Welcome to sooner than you think.

As to Kavanaugh, he has authored hundreds of opinions (unlike Kagan who authored none prior to her SCOTUS loyalty to liberalism prize). Leave it to the left to dig out a few and twist them to make them sinister.

The confirmation hearings will be Kabuki theater for the Dems new leftist controllers, but it will be doubly futile - the coneheads of the far left don’t need it, and everyone else will see it as small minded bullying by Dems. Win Win Win.

Who as I said was wrong…

I’d love to watch the whole thing. The one with Gorsuch was amusing, to say the least.

Yet five republicans voted to confirm her, shrug.

On that we agree, yet I think you are reaching by claiming that Kavanaugh would somehow give Trump a pass were he indicted. I have little doubt that your feelings in this mimic what will be the DNC talking points or the next few weeks.

Ok, so Biden and McConnell were wrong as there’s nothing in the constitution to substantiate eithers claim. And Kavanaugh’s opinion on setting presidents being sued, investigated or indicted probably won’t ever be a factor for Trump, that was never my purpose in pointing it out. It’s just so obvious to myself and others that when Trump learned that about him, he was going to be his nominee.

Monte is totally out to lunch on this one.

The reality:
Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh, the front-runner to replace Justice Anthony M. Kennedy on the Supreme Court, once argued that President Bill Clinton could be impeached for lying to his staff and misleading the public, a broad definition of obstruction of justice that would be damaging if applied to President Trump in the Russia investigation.

Monte of course ignores the reality of what he said making it up as he goes.

D[quote=“docgreen, post:126, topic:9248”]
As to Kavanaugh, he has authored hundreds of opinions
[/quote]

Including an opinion that sitting presidents should not be subjected to special prosecutors, investigations, law suits and indictments. Or IOW is above the law. A no brainer pick for Trump.

Speaking of nuclear options…

His comments were in regard to the general subject of lawsuits and other frivolous contentions as they would likely always become politicized and therefore crippling to the presidency and government. He never said that after the president left office that he shouldn’t be held to account. Now I don’t know that he envisioned a situation where an elected president was accused of being in collusion with a foreign government to obtain the presidency and I don’t think that he would say that his comments would apply in that case… VOX did a wonderful article trying to conflate the comments and this president… I see you read it…

Nor can you quote me making that ridiculous claim…

He believes a SITTING president is above the law, and should not be subjected to investigations and lawsuits. Perhaps there will be a few republican senators bothered by that flawed notion to vote with democrats against the idiocy. You can’t say anything that would cause me to believe that you’d have opposed investigations into any Obama corruption on the merits that it would have been crippling to his presidency. :roll_eyes:

I don’t believe that was the intent of his comment. Anything that the president does in office is covered by the rules of impeachment… this is not a civil or criminal matter and the distractions of other such cases harms the government… if congress decides on impeachment then the minute he is out of office, he can have litigants lined up around the block. Prostitutes from years ago have nothing to do with ‘The Presidency’…

But of course you don’t, it’s not expedient. But it has been clear to many others, and it’s a dangerous precedent that you’d never stand for from an Obama nominee. But your hyperpartisan hypocrisy never disappoints…

And YOU FORGOT THE REST OF HIS STATEMENT:

If a president were truly malevolent, Kavanaugh wrote, he could always be impeached.