The Coming Shutdown Fight

Make it known that any nonessential services that are suspended will not eventually receive back pay. That will increase the pressure on the insiders.

Limbaugh did a show with respect to a government shutdown and funding the wall that was interesting but in the show he said something that is both disturbing and, I fear, correct.

But I’ll tell you what, along these lines, have you seen the latest Pew Research Center People in the Press? “More Americans Now Prefer a Bigger Government With More Services to a Smaller One With Fewer Services.” And it has been trending this way for quite a while. In fact, many in the conservative movement have said, “Look, we’ve lost the battle over small versus big government. And so what we need to do is announce that we understand that people want a large government taking care of goods and services. What we need to do is position ourselves as the smartest people to run it. We understand that the people want an active, engaged executive.” That’s the phrase from the intellectual conservative side of Washington, D.C.

This has become the position of the Conservative party in the UK… not the defender of individual rights or indeed capitalism but instead the ‘better choice’ for the strong steerage of a government with its fingers in everything. I don’t see much conversation about the constitution in our current administration and while I admire Jeff Session’s on point delivery of the rule of law, I fear that even he fails to understand the damage of title IV and VII of the 1964 civil rights act… and the harm it does to the presumption of private property and liberty…

A government “shutdown” will show Americans how very little they actually need the government. This is the real reason politicians don’t want a shutdown. Once Americans see everything is A-OK post “shutdown”, the future threat is null and void. WE DON’T NEED GOVT. They know it.

As I have read elsewhere: Politicians are a lot like the pharmaceutical industry… if they actually fix a problem, they can no longer campaign on the platform that it is only they who can fix it…

Politicians fix nothing. Look at the list 100 days.

What meaningful legislation has congress passed??

The GOP controls the house. Nothing.
The Senate belongs to the GOP and they have the nuclear option to pass legislation. The only thing congress has done in the last 100 days is 1 supreme court judge.

The only things done are done by executive order.

House Democrats threaten shutdown over Obamacare repeal vote
By HEATHER CAYGLE and ELANA SCHOR 04/27/17 10:38 AM EDT Updated 04/27/17 01:48 PM EDT

House Democrats are threatening to oppose a short-term funding extension if Republicans plow ahead with a vote to repeal Obamacare this week, renewing talk of a government shutdown if lawmakers can’t reach an agreement by Friday.

“If Republicans pursue this partisan path of forcing Americans to pay more for less and destabilizing our county’s health care system — without even knowing how much their bill will cost — Republicans should be prepared to pass a one-week [funding extension] on their own," House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland said in a statement.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi delivered the news in a phone call to House Speaker Paul Ryan Thursday morning. Hoyer had a similar conversation with House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy of California.

“They are in a lose, lose, lose situation,” Pelosi said about Republican efforts to repeal Obamacare. “The minute they cast that vote they put doo-doo on their shoe, tattoo on their forehead.”

Republican leaders still haven’t made a decision about whether to bring the Obamacare repeal to the floor this week. But privately, senior GOP sources say a vote is more likely next week.

The Rules Committee, which controls floor debate, will meet Thursday afternoon but it’s unclear what’s on the panel’s agenda.

Ryan dismissed Democrats’ threats, saying he’s confident the government won’t shut down.

“The reason this government funding bill is not ready is because Democrats have been dragging their feet,” the Wisconsin Republican told reporters. “I’m confident we’ll be able to pass a sort-term extension”

A Democratic leadership aide said Democrats are still open to supporting a short-term extension if the overall budget talks are “headed in a good direction and we just need time to do the paperwork etc.”

“But that cooperation is greatly impeded if Republicans attempt to use a [the one-week extension] to jam the Trumpcare bill through the House," the aide added.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said that while he agreed with House Democrats on the importance of keeping the government funded before “rushing through” an Obamacare repeal, he was not yet prepared to ask his caucus to adopt the same strategy. “We’re not up to that yet,” he told reporters.

Current government funding runs out at midnight Friday. After settling major outstanding issues over border wall funding and Obamacare subsidies earlier this week, leaders seemed on track for a deal, but all agreed they would likely need a short-term extension to work out final details.

Schumer sounded a far more positive note than Pelosi on Thursday morning in a floor speech, saying that “I believe we are close to a final agreement.” But the New York Democrat also warned the House against pushing through an Obamacare repeal bill whose “chances of survival in the Senate are small,” citing procedural hurdles that would require the measure to clear 60 votes in the upper chamber.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky said in a floor speech Thursday that “we expect to pass” a stopgap bill to give senators time next week to examine a longer-term funding bill.

Other Senate Democrats said they are supportive of House Democrats’ anger over the Obamacare repeal vote but don’t seem ready to commit to the same strategy.

“I certainly would be appalled if the House Republicans, at a time when people aren’t paying attention, try to jam through a health care bill that will hurt millions of Americans,” Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) said, while stressing she had been in meetings all morning and wasn’t briefed on House Democrats’ plan.

But will Democrats hold up a one-week extension as leverage? “I don’t know what they’re doing in the House right now,” Murray responded.

It’s unclear whether House Republicans have enough votes to pass a short-term funding extension without Democratic help. Conservative lawmakers hate temporary spending bills and generally oppose them. Republicans can afford to lose only 22 votes.

“I don’t have the power to shut down government. I wouldn’t do it, it’s not in my value system,” Pelosi said in a news conference Thursday morning. “I’ve bailed them out several times so they didn’t shut down government,” the California Democrat added.

GOP leaders are still coming up short in their effort to round up enough votes to pass the latest Obamacare repeal plan. Most conservatives are on board, but GOP leaders are having a hard time persuading moderates to back the bill, which would allow states to opt out of providing key Obamacare provisions.

I know people don’t think the shutdown will happen, but I’m convinced that it will. The Republicans keep giving in and the Democrats keep asking for more. There has to be a line in the sand that they won’t cross. If there isn’t, then what’s the point of controlling the House, Senate, and White House if the Dems just get whatever they want? Republicans need to demonstrate some strength.

If shutdown is an inevitable feature of doing business with the democrats then Trump ought to go to the mat with the minuscule preliminary wall funding demand… Its time for congress to fund the laws that they pass and if they don’t want to fund them… get rid of the law…

I say… Stand Up and Shut It Down…

The H-2B language was hidden deep in the draft 2017 supplemental budget — which is to face House and Senate votes this week — and it surprised opponents of the legislation. In December 2016, Ryan had agreed to trim the program when the partial 2017 budget deal was announced just one month after blue-collar voters backed Donald Trump’s campaign promise of a low-immigration, high-wage national economic policy.

Ryan agreed to trimming this program and has reigned… who really believes that he will keep to his word about funding the wall…

Despite the seeming win for Democrats and loss for Trump’s budget priorities, Jennifer Hing, a spokeswoman for House Appropriations Committee Chairman Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-NJ), said the budget plan is a good thing.

“The agreement will move the needle forward on conservative priorities and will ensure that the essential functions of the federal government are maintained,” Hing said.

President Trump… send everyone home…

So much for conservative values of cutting wasteful spending.

PP not cut, NPR not cut, PBS not cut, EPA not cut.

Ryan sucks.

I’m telling you the GOP is certainly not living up to what they were sent to do. CUT SPENDING.

I rather doubt that there will be a government shutdown (although that would not especially bother me; I have lived through government shutdowns in the past, and have never even noticed the difference).

My doubts rest upon the fact that neither side much wants it: The Republicans do not want it, because they would surely get blamed for it (especially by most of the media); and the Democrats do not want it, since it would injure their NPR-type (left-leaning, upper-middle class) constituency.

I don’t know, the black mail of a pure DACA bill as a counterpoint to the government budget is blackmail pure and simple… I don’t know that, properly done, that republicans will actually suffer much… besides, Trump itches to send people home and I am not so sure that they will get the receptive ear of this president for ‘downtime pay’ that they got with Obama… Trump is out to make end roads in the budget deficit(regardless of the relentless FED rate rises) and size of government…and he has a much larger group of people cheering him on that the MSM would like you to believe…

After reading the WSJ article yesterday about the projected 230B bump that the treasury will immediately get due to the corporate rate being lowered this upcoming fiscal year will be the closest they come to balancing since the late 1990’s. Based on the 25% jump in the DOW they should also reap heavy capital gains inflow.

I still have no faith in McConnell and Ryan to cut spending to reach this goal.