My favorite justice of the Supreme Court - Robert H. Jackson coined the phrase when he said in dissent “There is danger that, if the court does not temper its doctrinaire logic with a little practical wisdom, it will convert the constitutional Bill of Rights into a suicide pact.”
The phrase has been used as the constitution is not a suicide pact.
Well, folks, it is.
Yes, it is because of the life threatening acts of the current administration and its enablers - the majorities in Congress. the life being threatened is all life on this planet.
But we must face the fact it stems from the rigidities and stupidities of the The Constitution itself.
A reasonable constitution would provide for this and other situations of dire necessity.
Given that we do know there was interference the degree is currently unknown) in the 2016 election by a foreign power and that the current administration was an is in cahoots with that foreign power and given that there was significant voter suppression in the election which should have triggered the second paragraph of the 14th Amendment resulting in a diminution of the proportionate number of reps from states which suppressed and thus also reduced their electoral votes.
Furthermore give that the rule of law and democratic government are at grave risk
The solution would the dissolution of the both houses of Congress, the removal of the President and all political appointees, the appointment of a government of transition led by distinguished statesmen and women. Such government would be solely in a caretaker role and would supervise new elections under the following circumstances
- Voting would be obligatory for all over 18. There would be a fine of $250 for not voting (in line with Australian practice)
- The federal government would supervise the election in all states making sure there was no voter suppression with special vigilance in those states with a history of voter suppression.
- The President would be elected by majority vote by using preferential voting (also called instant runoffs)
- The Senate would be elected in similar fashion
- The House would be elected by proportional representation within larger states and by groups in smaller states. (see below for a proposal)
- The election would take place within 45 days of the dismissal of the executive and the dissolution of Congress.
- New clauses in the constitution would call for the institution of votes of confidence in the President. A President who lost would be subjected to a new election as would the house/houses that so voted.
- Voting and representation would be extended to all US territories
I’d propose the following states and groups of states:
- New England
- New York and the Atlantic Islands
- NJ, PA, DE, MD,
- DC VA, NC, SC, GA
- OH, IN, MI, WI, MN
- WV, KY, TN, AL, MS
- IA, NB, SD, ND,
- LA, AR, OK, MO, KS
- NM, AZ, NV, UT, ID CO, WY, MN
- CA and the Pacific Islands
- HI, OR, WA, AK
Who could set this in motion? The military. This is not a military coup as the military would not govern at all.
Let’s discuss this. We need to.