This could probably go in the “religion” board but it’s also highly technical. No free speech board can be without a thread for liberals to accuse people like me of being anti-science.
My opinion is that today’s “climate science” is actually politicized pseudoscience - Lysenkoism.
Some of the features of pseudoscience:
- Claims that cannot be validated - such as global climate models making predictions of weather 100 years from now but can’t make a meaningful prediction of something near-term that can validate the models. “Climate” now has been defined as a 30-year running average, as if that will enable them to escape normal requirements of validation of computer models.
- Claims that can be tested, and turn out wrong, are just ignored or explained away with lame reasons.
- Skeptics are attacked ad-hominem by the so-called “scientists”
- Skeptics are also subject to organized suppression of their opinions
- Measurements central to the entire field are highly tortured calculations like “global average temperature.” These measurements are heavily adjusted which makes them vulnerable to manipulation by people who know what they want to see.
- Climate scientists show a unique lack of humility about what their models can and can’t do. They purport to show the effect of CO2 of global temperatures in an impossibly complex system, Earth’s atmosphere, the oceans and the land. They appear to think that they can quantify what will happen if CO2 goes from 0.39% to 0.4% in the air. I’ve even seen articles, written in all seriousness, purporting to predict things 1,000 years from now. In most fields, something like this would be a source of embarrassment.
- Mistakes always go in only one direction - exaggerated effects of CO2 on increasing temperatures. Honest science would show mistakes in both directions.
- The results of the climate predictions are used to justify all sorts of left wing programs.
- Argument from authority - signed statements by a bunch of authorities that these conclusions are proven beyond doubt.
I’m 99% convinced that the field of climate science will eventually become an embarrassment to science and it will be considered in the same area of academia as ethnic studies. They’ll never be able to validate their models or their claims.