The Rabbit Hole

No, you silly rabbit! iyfyus.jpg
Swiss cheese is not cheddar…it’s Swiss.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sargento+swiss+cheese&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

I think the Americans are getting British theme chesses rather than the real thing

Yeah… when I was in Germany as a young soldier and Irish lass was selling ‘silver dining sets’ that would be drop-shipped you your mother for mothers day… My mother of course graciously thanked me for the present and when I got home I to Texas I saw that half of the knife handles had fallen off the rusted tangs and the fork tines were so sharp you could perform 4 surgical procedures at the same time… Auh yes… I do remember that smile…

Nay! Nay!

Cheddar cheese is a relatively hard, off-white (or orange if spices such as annatto are added), sometimes sharp-tasting, natural cheese . Originating in the English village of Cheddar in Somerset, cheeses of this style are produced beyond the region and in several countries around the world.

Today Cheddar cheese is still made in Somerset but also all over the world. It is made on farms in the West Country and 14 makers are licensed to use the EU Protected Designation of Origin “West Country Farmhouse Cheddar ”.

That looks very rubbery… :grimacing:

Not sure you are getting the real McCoy since we have never seen or heard of any of that stuff here!

Go on then, you can entertain the old dears.

Note, this is the BBC - watch near the end as they come out of Santa’s grotto!

Charles Martel and son have a pretty high standard of achievement

We have a lot of small cheesemakers now in northern California, Oregon and Washington making delicious stuff, and supermarkets stock a lot of specialty cheeses from England, France, Holland, Spain, Italy and Switzerland. I stay away from the moldy stuff, it tastes a little too earthy for me.

In the past I’ve been to Europe and got pounds of vacuum-packed cheese to bring back, but now it’s not really worth the bother.

Many years ago I lived in Asia and was elated to find a market that had Danish cheddar. The Australian cheddar that was everywhere was an abomination.

Things have changed in California then? I remember going to a restaurant near San Francisco many years ago with my work colleagues and asking for “cheese and biscuits” at the end of the meal (as we do in Europe), and being served up chunks of Parmesan and plain sweet biscuits.

All I am concerned with is the taste and texture of the cheese. I prefer unprocessed cheese.

Our labeling laws differentiate between real 100% cheese and what is called processed cheese…cheese food, cheese product, cheese spread or cheese flavored. If it says cheese on the label, it’s got to be natural cheese only.

These differences are whey and emulsifiers. Natural cheeses have the whey pressed out of them while processed cheese does not. … Cheese food , cheese product, cheese spread and pasteurized processed cheese are all forms of processed cheese . Processed cheese may also contain additives and preservatives.

I do prefer natural cheeses and would love to sample some cheddar from Cheddar.

Cheddar from Cheddar…it’s gotta be better! :cheese:

Yeah, a lot. People used to make fondues from cheez whiz, which is some sort of artificial cheese spread. Now you can get swiss gruyere, emmentaler, appenzeller, raclette and make a proper fondue. Sharp provolone is one of my favorites, used to be hard to find but now is easy. The Sargento provolone is not bad but it’s mild, Sargento is one of the better mass-market supermarket cheeses. Sharp provolone from Italy has an unmistakeable bite.

:joy: I think you need to get over here. You can try our cheeses and proper beer, then head onto France. Near the Swiss border, in the Savoie region you will get stuff that look like they have been rolling round French toilets (flush and rush types) for some decades. Even so, in all the supermarkets there will be a plethora of stuff you have never seen. I would recommend the UK for beer or rather fine English ales and France for cheese and wine. Don’t bother with Germany and Holland for food. They are just weird.

By the way, all cheeses are natural. Processed stuff are in funny shapes. They are not allowed to be called just cheese. They are cheese strings, cheese triangles etc marketed at kids.

Unfortunately the best beer seems to come from Belgium, the Netherlands or Germany.
However there are some very nice offerings from the smaller British breweries.

On that we will agree to disagree.image

Some of the cheeses packaged in funny shapes are just cut from big blocks of natural cheese.

If a cheese has been pasteurized, blended, had a preservative added to it, had other foods added to it or never had the whey pressed out of it…it is not natural cheese.

I do agree regarding string cheese.

To give you an idea how much things have changed in the states: it used to be that in Salt Lake City, you had to really search to find any place that would serve any alcoholic beverage (Mormons discourage alcohol). Now, I know of a restaurant downtown that has a two-page listing of all of the Belgian beers you can order, many on tap. Belgian and German wheat beers are my favorites.

And there’s now more brew-pubs than you can count, doing very good beers, in every state.

Ok, but I have never seen any of that shit here.

For those interested in healthy food aspects in general. It appears that other than natto probably being the worlds best food source of vitamin K2, cheese is one of the best sources for those of us outside of Japan.

It is now becoming more widely accepted that K2 or “menaquinone” provides our body with the ability to fix damaged arteries naturally rather than it using chunks of cholesterol to plaster up any damage. Obviously this is not the medical definition but it helped me understand.
This guy is a little better at it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkeUKxwwflk

Dairy products generally contain good amounts of K2 but most efficiently if the cattle have been fed on natural grass which their body can synthesise the k2 through their digestion process.

Another factor seems to be the maturing time for the cheeses along with the fermentation process of some of the veined cheeses making them a little more K2 rich.

Here’s a league table for those interested.dutch euro%20cheese

By the way, I have no idea what you’re expecting when you order cheese and biscuits, a selection of cheese and crackers? San Francisco restaurants range from traditional ethnic, lots of different types, but the more popular ones are trendy and gimmicky. Often, there’s no parking, so you’ve got to have a valet handle your car, and while you’re waiting you’ve got the endure the bums begging aggressively for money. I don’t dine there much anymore, I hate trendy and gimmicky and bums.

Sometimes they “cut the cheese” into varied shapes. It’s still cheese.