Three Rivers ISD administrators are going shopping for a paddle

Three Rivers ISD administrators are going shopping for a paddle.

As part of a new policy approved by the board Tuesday, the paddle, likely to be wood, will be used to administer corporal punishment when a student misbehaves at school.

Corporal punishment is defined as the deliberate infliction of physical pain by hitting, paddling, spanking, slapping, or any other physical force used as a means of discipline.

Parents will be able to decide, upon registering their children for the upcoming school year, whether they want to opt in or out.

“If the parent is not comfortable with it, that’s the end of the discussion,” Three Rivers ISD Superintendent Mary Springs said.

Texas is among 19 states in the U.S. that sanction the use of corporal punishment in schools, according to reports. In November 2016, then Department of Education secretary John B. King Jr. sent a letter to state leaders urging them to end the use of corporal punishment in schools, citing the practice is linked to harmful short-term and long-term outcomes for students.

In the short term, students who are administered physical punishment for their actions at school show an increase in aggressive and defiant behavior, according to King’s letter. In the long term, students who are administered corporal punishment in school are more likely to later grapple with substance abuse and mental health issues, including depression, personality disorders and post-traumatic stress, according to the letter.

I know that the outcomes for so many given a participation trophy has worked out well… Dr. Spock has destroyed the idea that sometimes real live discipline is required… and sometimes it even gets a students attention. I will say however that how and when it is applied is important… to much of a heavy hand like too may trophies does not encourage a good outcome.

I was… ‘mischievous’… in school and I was taken to task for it. Of course I always had my Dads admonishment that anything I got because of my actions in school would be doubled at home… I suppose I have post traumatic stress and just don’t know it…

I never dealt with corporal punishment in school but it was still the way my family handled situations. We weren’t “abused” but if we screwed up we got more than just a stern talking to. I don’t think that this will be very effective in schools. I think parents should just start doing what parents have always done and now are being told they shouldn’t.

For a period of time in the 4th grade I attended a rural 1 room school house (grades 1-8) in upstate New York. The teacher had a wooded yard stick and for the younger kids, she would rap the desk… for the older kids, she would give their knuckles a rather firm tap. One instance of pure Karma I made my math teacher a paddle that he could use as a paper weight… I did a really nice job on it but it really was a bit to vicious to ‘use’… I however managed to cross the line and he gave me three swats on my butt for my transgressions… Damn I so duzz make a mean paddle :grin:

Heres a good example of some kids that needed … intervention in their lives: