Trey Gowdy to Retire and Return to the Justice System

WASHINGTON (AP) — South Carolina GOP Rep. Trey Gowdy says he will not run for re-election and will “instead be returning to the judicial system.”

Gowdy is chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee and previously chaired a highly partisan panel investigating the 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya.

Gowdy is a former federal prosecutor. In a statement, he said “whatever skills I may have are better utilized in a courtroom than in Congress, and I enjoy our justice system more than our political system.”

The Benghazi panel revealed the existence of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s private email server and controversies involving it proved to be damaging to her failed 2016 presidential campaign.

Gowdy was elected in the 2010 tea party wave that returned control of the House to Republicans.

I do hope that he has been giving some thought and taken some time to groom a replacement…

This may be a really good sign. Trump will get another Supreme Court pick and if Gowdy becomes an appointed judge then he can take the next spot when RBG finally croaks.

Good news…

I’m sure you hate guys like Gowdy keeping people honest.

I don’t hate him at all. I was disappointed with him for going after HRC eight different times with regards to Benghazi but UTTERLY FAILING to prosecute her for the actual crime she committed and locking her crook ass up when the opportunity was there.

Not that I would expect you to say anything different but why would you want to see that back side of a man who, because of his tenacity, helped uncover the Clinton E-mail server, leading to all of the questions that came from that… One would think that you would cheer the dogged determination for the truth, even in the face of constant obstruction from the Obama Administration in seeking information. Lets not forget, that Obama used executive privilege many times to stifle the Benghazi investigations…

He’s being groomed for a position at DOJ, probably attorney general or FBI director, after the dust settles post-Mueller.

Perhaps… I think that he could very well be a junk yard dog as the the Attorney General… I don’t know if he has enough prosecutors or for that matter FBI agents to turn over so many rocks in this mammoth quarry…

He would be better to head either the DOJ or the FBI than who is there now.

I agree. Sessions isn’t working out the way that I had hoped. I actually don’t know of anything that he’s done. Gowdy has way more energy and if given the chance to control the justice department he would get this whole mess sorted out.

Trey Gowdy would be like the dog that would grip your pants cuffs and not let go.In a word,Relentless!-!!!#!

Yep, like he did regarding Benghazi

Bc investigation was handed over to Comey’s team. Oh wait, wasnt you against his firing as well?

After Benghazi and his stand on illegal immigration he would have an extremely difficult time getting confirmed .

Monte is out trolling again pay him no mind , he suffers from TDS ! :roll_eyes:

Monte was for firing Comey only after he re-opened the investigation on HRC . :roll_eyes:

Um, yeah we all remember that Gowdy tough talk on HRC. But other than entertainment, what did it get?

You know the country is fucked when good men who try just give up. The swamp might just be too deep. The only hope now is to accelerate.

What progress can you make investigating a former Schmobama Administration member while Schmobama is President who probably pardon her any way.Let her tell.the families of those killed that"What Does It Matter"
Her and Schmobama aided and abetted their murder by not providing military support when they knew what was going to happen.These were TREASONOUS ACTS and Schmobama should have impeached and both do Hard Fed Prison Time.Both of them had no feelings of sympathy for their families.