US Preparing Canada Lumber Tariff

I’m not understanding this move by the Trump administration. The construction industry is dependent upon Canadian lumber. This is going to spike the cost of new home construction if this goes through.

Maybe I’m just missing the logic on this one.

Chicago's commissioner wanted UN force to help

Don’t the regulations in the USA create the need for Canadian lumber ? Are those regulations being removed ?

I’m not exactly cheering over meddling in the free market. The consumer should have the greatest amount of choice and business should have healthy competition.

Apparently it’s a retaliatory move by Trump for alleged “wrong-doings” by the Canadian gov’t on the lumber and dairy sectors. In summary:

-Canadian’s dairy industry is protected by their gov’t by imposing high tax on imported dairy products
-Canada subsidizes their lumber industry and makes those lumber companies more competitive price-wise than American lumber companies.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/25/new-tariff-on-canadian-lumber-should-send-a-stern-trade-message-to-the-world-commerces-wilbur-ross-warns.html

I’ll need to do some more research but at a glance, he’s jsut keeping his campaign promise i.e. MAGA. If his next move is to loosen some of those regulations regarding the lumber industry here, then it confirms it.

Also lol at his tweet. “Watch”. No more lines in the sand, just swift actions now.

Good information. Since that’s the case then Canada should get beat up a little bit or be forced to change behavior. I like it.

Canada, one of the U.S.’s top trading partners, has imposed an import tax on ultra-filtered milk, a product used in the cheese-making process. It had previously been duty-free, but the Canadian government levied the tax after dairy farmers north of the border complained about U.S. imports.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pushed back against Trump’s comments Thursday, saying dairy is protected “for good reason.”

“The U.S. has a $400 million dairy surplus with Canada so it’s not Canada that’s the challenge here,” he said in an interview with Bloomberg. “Let’s not pretend we’re in a global free market when it comes to agriculture.”

The trade dispute affecting dairy farmers in states such as Wisconsin and New York provided a hook for Trump to announce that the White House plans to propose changes to NAFTA soon.

We have a 400 million surplus in dairy so Canada adds a tariff to balance the dairy surplus.

“The Government of Canada disagrees strongly with the U.S. Department of Commerce’s decision to impose an unfair and punitive duty,” And nothing was said by Canada about the 11 billion trade deficit the US had in 2016 with Canada.

The media: oh the Trump administration is out of control again.

NAFTA needs to go.

You all are so gullible. We are going after Canada now?

Are those jobs back yet?

Did Mexico pay for that wall yet?

Do we have health care better and cheaper than Obamacare yet? Lol

So its ok for Canada to levy tariffs against the US dairy products yet not for the US to levy tariffs against Canadian lumber? Their tariffs were designed to address a 400 million deficit yet the US has an 11 billion dollar with Canada and can do nothing???

Why do you not support Americans having a fair chance to compete. Why do you support a foreign government taking advantage of US consumers and the US market and creating conditions that are unfavorable to US business.

Ah dont feed to troll shill… [quote=“FiredUpDem, post:7, topic:3397”]
We are going after Canada now?
[/quote]

Apparently in their eyes Canadians are another “oppressed” minority now, in line with blm and middle eastern refuges.

We most certainly could but ‘certain folks’ refuse to acknowledge the structural problems in the delivery of medical care… ‘certain folks’ refuse to acknowledge that it is in fact government that has created the mess that exists today and as long as we refuse to admit the root of the problem, little can be done to solve it so we employ the best practice of democrats… tax away the incentive of hard working people to invest and take risk…

What to hell are you @FiredUpDem… a battered wife? Sometimes you have to take control of your life and how you interact with others… and the US has found itself in a lot of rather abusive relationships…