Veterans Day

To all of my fellow veterans,

Today is 11 NOV 16 - the anniversary of the signing of the armistice, which ended the World War I hostilities between the Allied nations and Germany in 1918.

Thank you for your service, not just today but everyday. Please feel free to share your service history with us.

I’ll go first for this Veterans Day roll call:

I served in the USAF for a decade and another five years after that in the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve. I’m an Operation Enduring Freedom veteran and served before, during, and after 9/11 domestically and abroad.

Thank you for your service.

I also did 10 years/6 year program.

Spent a lot of time in the C130 before graduating to the C141.

And you for yours.

Small world @LouMan. The C-141 was my first bird. Great aircraft. Sadly, I also retired the 141 out of McGuire Air Force Base to make way for the C-17. I also worked the KC-135, KC-10, and C-5 which ended up being my personal favorite. I’m still a C-5 nut to this day and I think the biggest mistake the Air Force ever made was retiring it. I know it was a big expensive beast but it was an engineering masterpiece.

Loved the 130. The aircraft had magnificent engines and was a simple but effective aircraft. Empty the thing could do amazing short takeoffs and landings. Even loaded it’s max effort T/O and landings were amazing.
Guess that’s why so many are still flying today.
Much like you with the C5.

The 141 was a a great aircraft not as much fun and sadly my last.

Did my time in various places, Yokata, Pope, Hickham, the lovely Arkansas as well a time in Fla. TDY in to many places to mention.

As an Air Force Brat, I use to sit at the end of the runway at Griffiss in New York with a bag lunch and watch aircraft come and go… couldn’t do that now days for sure. the best thing in the world was to lay flat on the end of the runway looking up and have a B-52 land… megacoollllll !! I also liked the F104’s scramble … good shit man!! B-52 will always be the bit of war kit that gets me going…

As for myself… Spent a little over 10 years in the US Army. Technically a VietNam Era vet, I spent my time in Germany so am reluctant to class myself with those heroic people. Spent the first 4 years in Armor and with some previous electronics knowledge I retrained for electronics and satellite ground station operations. Ended my time working at Ft Monmouth NJ in R&D and in cooperation with counterparts in San Diego (The TDY’s to Calif were… pleasant !) for the Navy to miniaturize and mobilize satellite from the very large strategic installations to the forerunners of today’s mobile kit. Headhunted away for what seemed like a princely sum but regret not retiring like my father.

Pretty interesting when you look back.

Your dirt poor living paycheck to pay check, didn’t have a lot or need a lot but it was normal as everyone lived the same way.

Imagine the poor in America living that way today.

I have yet to earn the Honorable title of veteran but I wanted to thank all of you who have. We stand together in uniform and out doing our part to keep America and the world safe for democracy.

I salute you.

Thank you heroes!

I get why you are humble but America loves each and every one of you!

Please never forget that.

A Veteran: Someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check for an amount up to and including their life, made payable to the United States of America.

We owe you everything.

I thank you for serving your country.

Be well.