Wall Is ‘Off the Table,’ Schumer Says, as Progress on Immigration Unravels

WASHINGTON — Senate negotiators found themselves back at Square 1 on immigration on Tuesday, as the Senate Democratic leader withdrew the biggest gesture he had made to strike a deal: an offer to fully fund President Trump’s proposed wall at the Mexican border.

“The wall offer’s off the table,” the leader, Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, told reporters at the Capitol a day after senators overcame an impasse to end a three-day government shutdown.

Mr. Schumer’s decision to renege, made on Sunday but revealed publicly on Tuesday, marked another turn in the fluid debate over how to shield from deportation hundreds of thousands of young immigrants brought to the country illegally as children.

And the response:
Trump to ‘Cryin’ Chuck Schumer: 'If there is no Wall, there is no DACA’
President Trump issued an ultimatum Tuesday, telling Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., he risks failing to secure a legislative fix for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program if he reneges on his offer to fund Trump’s proposed border wall.

“Cryin’ Chuck Schumer fully understands, especially after his humiliating defeat, that if there is no Wall, there is no DACA. We must have safety and security, together with a strong Military, for our great people!” Trump wrote on Twitter.

Schumer on Monday said he would withdraw terms he gave to Trump last week that stipulated Democrats would agree to $25 billion for border security, including a wall, in exchange for protecting so-called “Dreamers,” or young illegal immigrant brought to the U.S. as children.

Trump’s warning follows rumblings among Senate Republicans that a bipartisan bill on immigration reform, which is crucial for a government spending deal, was now in jeopardy after Schumer’s announcement.

Majority Whip John Cornyn, R-Texas, said Schumer’s retraction has already “set back” the talks “a long way” and could stall them permanently if wall funding now becomes non-negotiable for Democrats.

This is the second time Trump has used the moniker “Cryin’ Chuck” to refer to the top Democrat in the Senate.

“Cryin’ Chuck Schumer stated recently, ‘I do not have confidence in him (James Comey) any longer.’ Then acts so indignant. #draintheswamp,” Trump tweeted shortly after news of the former FBI director’s firing broke in May.

They are going to lose on DACA this is them trying to rub their shutdown stink onto Trump. If they can start shifting blame they obviously think the next shutdown can get blamed on Trump…once again for not giving them what they want.

The Democrats I am afraid have made a horrible miscalculation… or a master stroke by accident. It would seem that every illegal and their sympathizing brother is out in force against Schumer and every other democrat and they are quite vocal in their insistence that now ALL illegals get amnesty. We already know that tossing 20million out of the country would be pretty impossible but giving them amnesty which would no doubt lead to some kind of pathway to citizenship. Either people are going to come firmly together and say ‘Absolutely Not’… or we just gave democrats the voting block they need to overrun this country…

I don’t know if it’s that extreme. I don’t see the Trump administration caving on DACA. If the administration won’t cave on DACA then they really won’t cave on blanket amnesty for all illegals. The enforcement mechanism is harder but if Trump can start with the felons, gang members, and repeat immigration offenders first then start scooping up the rest second then a big enough dent can be made. Enforcement needs to be brutal and swift to the point that the other illegals start packing their things and going elsewhere. Maybe I’m too optimistic but I don’t see the persona of Donald Trump relenting on the central component of his campaign.

Personally I don’t believe that Trump had any intention other that finding a legal settlement for the 650K DACA ‘kids’ but along with that I felt that he would go to the mat to insure that it never happened again. Where I am now… if this ALL or nothing amnesty gains steam I am not sure where Trump will stand. Like I said, the ‘nothing’ option would require booting some 20million (a stretch even for the Stalins of the word) and the ‘all’ option would, give absolute control over the border… until this voting block undid the laws again…

Then again…

Trump to Schumer:

If There is no wall , There is no DACA !:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Countered by " now DACA is off the table " !!! :wink:

Of course Mulvaney says Schumer never had wall funding on the table.

I guess he blinked bc of the lack of sleep? Oh wait, Chuck schumer was in D.C., not in his house.

Why didn’t Schumer open the door to his house and let all of those illegals in?