Washington sets up winter quarters

The hills surrounding the camp offered Washington a perfect vantage point from which to keep an eye on the British army, which was headquartered across the Hudson River in New York City. Read the rest at: https://thevoiceofreason.blog/this-day-in-history/ #VOR

Washington had many headquarters throughout the war. His HQ in Newburgh, NY is a really important place but I don’t think that many people visit it because it is surrounded by gangland. I went several times when I was a cadet at USMA.

From April 1782 to August 1783 General George Washington, Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, made his headquarters and residence at Jonathan and Tryntje Hasbrouck family’s fieldstone farmhouse in Newburgh. It was the longest he stayed at any headquarters throughout the 8 1/2 years of the Revolution. The Hasbrouck house is furnished to reflect Washington’s stay and is open for guided tours. Here, the General, his wife Martha, officers, servants, and slaves lived and worked in close quarters, while a steady stream of guests met with the Washington’s.

In the critical months that General George Washington spent at Newburgh, he made some of his most important contributions to shaping the American republic.

It was here that Washington:

• Rejected the suggestion of an American monarchy.
  • Ended the Newburgh Conspiracy, preventing potential military control of the government.
  • Created the Badge of Military Merit, forerunner of the Purple Heart.
  • Circulated an influential letter to State Governors outlining the key principals he felt necessary for the new republic.
  • Announced the Cessation of Hostilities, which ended the fighting of the Revolutionary War.

https://parks.ny.gov/historic-sites/17/details.aspx

My youngest daughter is going to college in NYC and we drove up to the Hudson Valley over Thanksgiving to see the sites and give her a break from the city madness. We went to the museum at West Point and strolled the campus, the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor, and we did venture into Newburgh to Washington’s HQ. The site itself is immaculate but getting there was a little scary. It’s so rural in the Hudson Valley until you get to Newburgh which was obviously a beautiful place back in the day but is terrifying to visit now.

And of course the communist New York legislature prevents you from carrying and self protecting.

Reciprocity was the first thing I checked before leaving Florida. I was hoping that I could carry outside of NYC in NY State. Nope.

When Washington established his winter camp at Morristown it was the coldest winter on record. Very much like today. Those tough bastards hunkered down in wood huts for nearly 6 months. That is commitment to the cause.

I simply won’t go places where I can’t carry

Now we worry about it being too cold or rainy for people to show up and vote.