Why "privacy" is nonsense in our lives today

Let’s get a few facts on the table about “privacy”:-

First, the word is not mentioned in the Constitution of the United States.

Second, there is no right to privacy like there is a right to vote.

Third, remember that the “rights of man” [‘man’ is 18th-century wording and the constitution needs updating, but I guess that can’t happen until ERA is confirmed - perhaps next century?] come from God and not from government. I am not aware that God had much to say on the subject of privacy - correct me, please - and neither it seems did the founding fathers save for the implications of the fourth amendment.

Fourth, American’s have been arguing about a right to (or of) privacy for over a hundred years, so this is not a new subject.

Fifth, an accurate definition of privacy is legislatively useless because privacy depends on specific circumstances of the alleged infringement or exercise of the right. Two lawyers (one a Supreme Court Judge, Brandeis) defined the right in 1890 as “the right to be left alone” - the 4th Amendment, of course, protects the home from invasion - but if you were to write their right into law what really would it mean - it would be redefined for eternity.

Sixth, if it is not a right and never has been (although the Supreme Court has made some exceptions) and people go online and know that by doing so they are going ‘open kimono’ then they should stay offline. People who want privacy shouldn’t throw themselves under the proverbial privacy bus by joining social media.

Asking for what you never had (either from God or government), and even if you had it you wouldn’t know what to do with it is pointless and a waste of time and resources. That is my definition of nonsense OR ‘it does not make sense’.

So what to do now? We have all these people under the privacy bus calling for help.

We need an amnesty - everyone who wants to opt out given the way things have changed can opt out and their records will be expunged forever (after they have been copied of course!) - and we start afresh. Obviously, there is a bit of a problem with companies and data outside the U.S. as Microsoft and the government argued about in court for the past few years.

So gimme your name and address so we can be pen pals…

While I will certainly agree with you in principle that we have given up most of our ability to privacy by adopting the conveniences of modern life and laws that ever encroach on civil liberties in the name of security your comment that the Constitution is moot on the subject is … ill informed. Of course you later go on to create a narrow definition of the 4th amendment to suit your narrative admitting that the Constitution does have something to say about it. Note that the Constitution did not confine that right against illegal search and seizure to a home that you hold deed to. No, it has a far broader scope of their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures … and in no place does it specify that those people or papers must be contained in a home protected against home invasion.

I agree, our ability to have privacy when we choose to interact with each other in this modern world, use platforms where we, without thought or care agree to T&C’s that strip us of our privacy and elect legislators who create abominations like the Patriot Act… yes… privacy in our lives today is nonsense. I would further ad that because we have succumb to the trappings of ATM’s and online banking that we must insist that these institutions be 100% transparent about what they have that relates to us… and that includes the government.

There is no amnesty to be given here…its a mix of hacking and legal data selling. In 2012 when this was in its infancy, there might have been a chance.

Since then the industry buys hacked data and any data they can buy. Weve entered the information age and with it comes the information wars (id say infowars but alex Jones owns that)